MS Word 2016 comment bubbles not numbered

Anonymous
2016-11-17T18:10:54+00:00

I am using MS Office 2016 and it seems that comment bubbles are no longer numbered like they were in previous versions. When a reviewer using an older version of Word refers to a specific comment by its number, I cannot tell which comment they are referring to because the comments are not numbered in Word 2016. Does anyone know why this feature was removed or how to fix it? It is extremely frustrating that the numbering of comments has been removed. Thank you,

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2016-11-17T19:42:44+00:00

In Word 2016 (and 2013), comment numbers only display when you look at the print preview (at File | Print) or when you print the document, unfortunately. As a workaround, you can apply paragraph numbering to the Comment Text style.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T09:39:58+00:00

    Thanks but when working with the document of others, i.e. their doctoral dissertation this will not work as THEY did not set this up in THEIR document.

    The simple answer is for Microsoft to reinstate/return this important feature for its professional users.

    Perhaps I don't understand what it is you need.

    The functionality for numbered comment bubbles is already built in to Word, but is not a default setting.

    You need to add a Style for comments and select the numbering format you want to use.

    I also review reports and theses, and have no problem adding numbered comments to them.

    Did you try the method proposed in the link?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T11:36:26+00:00

    I have tried this a few times and the problem is looking at the documents of others. If I created the document it is OK but not when I open someone else's document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T13:18:48+00:00

    Thanks for trying to share your macro, however this does not work for Word for Mac 2016/365.

    Next..I tried changing the style as noted in earlier comments and it will only work for a document that I created, not for an exisitng document from someone else. Help. I do lots of dissertation editing and this will not work for these documents.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T13:21:00+00:00

    Once again, I tried to change the style..it works only for documents that I create however when someone sends me their document and I insert a comment, it comes un-numbered. FYI: when I created this new style I even selected 'add to template' option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments