MS Word 2016 comment bubbles not numbered

Anonymous
2016-11-17T18:10:54+00:00

I am using MS Office 2016 and it seems that comment bubbles are no longer numbered like they were in previous versions. When a reviewer using an older version of Word refers to a specific comment by its number, I cannot tell which comment they are referring to because the comments are not numbered in Word 2016. Does anyone know why this feature was removed or how to fix it? It is extremely frustrating that the numbering of comments has been removed. Thank you,

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2016-11-17T19:42:44+00:00

In Word 2016 (and 2013), comment numbers only display when you look at the print preview (at File | Print) or when you print the document, unfortunately. As a workaround, you can apply paragraph numbering to the Comment Text style.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-20T06:37:06+00:00

    In Word for Windows, at least, the comment numbers still display in Print Preview and they do print. I agree that making Word less what-you-see-is-what-you-get isn't a good design decision, and you should post feedback for Microsoft in the Uservoice forum at https://word.uservoice.com.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-20T00:20:43+00:00

    If you were to use this mode the printing is so small it is not useable!

    MS needs to reinstate this.. We purchased a word processing program, not a basic text editing program! Give us our features back Microsoft! The many of thousands of users are irate!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-20T00:19:16+00:00

    I use MS Word for Mac 2016/365..this does not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-20T00:18:46+00:00

    Thanks but I do not want these comments numbered in a print view as I work with documents of several hundreds of pages and need them in the normal screen mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments