OneNote 2016 Application issue with "Quick Notes" stuck loading

Anonymous
2016-06-24T12:13:30+00:00

Hi Guys,

Every time I try to access my "Quick Notes" this is what I get. It stays stuck there forever. Is there a way to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-11-14T20:26:34+00:00

Hi everyone,

Some news - a fix for this issue has been released with update 16.0.7466.2038 or later for OneNote 2016 for Windows desktop. To download the update right away, open any Office app and click File > Account > Update Options >

Update Now.

If you can confirm the updated resolved the issue for you by replying back to this thread, it would be very helpful for the Office team and everyone here.

We appreciate your help.

Regards,

Noyonima

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-07T20:46:26+00:00

Hi everyone,

OneNote team had finished the investigation of this issue. There will be a updated version of OneNote 2016 that contains solution to this. Also, we have published an article documenting  way to work around the problem, should you experience it: https://support.office.com/article/d1e0568b-19f0-4fe7-adb0-923ed60a3587

Thank you for using OneNote and sorry for the trouble this issue is causing.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-19T23:04:26+00:00

    I am also experiencing this issue of the "Quick Notes" item at bottom of "Notebook List" is stuck "Loading...".   Does not hang OneNote 2016 completely, but can't open the default Quick Notes location using the normal method as described on this OneNote QuickNotes help page. 

    I'm using OneNote 2016 (16.0.7167.2055 on Win10 Pro ver 1607 build 1439) with only local notebooks (not syncing with One Drive)  and the problem is very easy to reproduce.  I believe the bug occurs when the default location for saving Quick Notes is changed. Steps to reproduce. 

    1. Start with clean profile, launch OneNote 2016.  Quick notes location should be defaulting to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\OneNote Notebooks\Quick Notes.one
    2. Create a new section called "My Quick Notes" in a local notebook (could be in default "My Notebook" or create a new local notebook).  
    3. File > Options > Save & Backup > Save (near top) > select "Quick Notes Section" > click [Modify..]  then select the new Section created in #2 above ("My Quick Notes"). 
    4. Now try to use the "Quick Notes" item at bottom of "Notebook List" (upper left dropdown), and see if the notes sections loads or not. 

    For me, the above is all it takes to break this access method to Quick Notes.  Alternatively,  you can "Move" the content of the default "Quick Notes" section to a local notebook, which will move any existing Quick Notes and update the "Quick Notes Section" save path automatically.  That is how I originally stumbled upon this issue.  

    Recovery for me was fairly brute force, but painless because I have very little actual data in OneNote.  Closed all notebooks from withing OneNote (select notebook, right click, "close this notebook").  Then close OneNote AND close OneNote's Quick Note tray icon(right click, "close").  Now basically force OneNote to rebuild and reset it's directories and Notebooks by move(rename) the entire Documents\OneNote Notebooks\ tree to a new path.  Then launch OneNote and create a quick note.  The Quick notes should return to same location as for empty profile.  Then I had to open each old notebook and move/copy the sections back to the default locations.  

    Alternatively, if the original Quick Notes file is still accessible, I was able to open the file in OneNote (File > Open > Browse > to default original location Quick Notes.one (select "One Note sections" in drop down to right of file selection dialog).  With that section open, I was able to change the default Quick Notes save location back to the original file, basically reversing step #3 above.  Then no more issues, and back to defaults.

    Hopefully if developers can fix the loading issue, that could help clear up others confusion and potential syncing issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-19T16:43:47+00:00

    I have finally solved my problem.

    My situation: Office 365 x64 and Office 2013 Retail co-exist in the same computer. OneNote 365/2016 could not load quick notes. OneNote 2013 works fine.

    I have tried to re-locate quick notes, no use.

    I have tried deleting all cache of OneNote to force OneNote re-sync all Notebook, no use.

    Here is what I have done, I guess only the removal of Office 2013 and reinstall office 365 is necessary.

    I suggest you to uninstall Office 2013 and do an Online Repair for Office 365.

    1. I uninstalled Office 2013. After all, the co-existence of Office 2013 and Office 365 has left me lots of problems. The default app for xlsx and pptx changed frequently. Some time it is Excel 2016, some time it is Excel 2013. Some time it take several minutes for Office 2013 to start for it would start installation configuration again. And my Office 2013 is automatically changed to Office 365 license instead of their original Retail license.

    My conclusion: although Microsoft says you can have both version in the same computer, in practice it is a disaster. Office 2013 and Office 365 could not co-exist well like Office 2007 and Office 2010.

    After this, my OneNote 2016 is still problematic. So I go on.

    1. I cleared OneNote 2016 cache and delete all data of OneNote 2013 under C:\Users\username\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\OneNote

    This will force OneNote to re-sync all notebooks. It took me quite a long time to sync all notebooks but didn't solve the problem.

    1. I went to control panel "uninstall or change a program" and right clicked on Office 365, then select "change", then "quick repair". Nothing helped. (Note: you may have to manually quit OneDrive or it would stuck on "Closing Office Apps". ) Not helpful.
    2. I went to control panel "uninstall or change a program" and right clicked on Office 365, then select "change", then "online repair". Basically, this is a reinstallation but keep all your data. It would download Office 365 from Microsoft all over again and reinstall every office app.

    After this, the problem is solved! And Office 2016 now start much more quicker than before! You really should not install more than one version Office on your computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-10T08:47:41+00:00

    PRL, Thanks for the update. I only began using OneNote a few days ago so I have scarcely looked at the mobile apps.  I have been concentrating on importing and re-organising my notes from Evernote.

    I will follow your advice and check the configuration of my mobiles.

    It is reassuring to know that this problem is common to all users - I was afraid the the  "Evernote Importer" utility had created a corrupted note-base.

    Now that I am storing Quick Notes in a dedicated single-section notebook, the Quick Notes button is largely redundant. It is just as easy to open the notebook directly from the notebooks list.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments