OneNote 2016 Application issue with "Quick Notes" stuck loading

Anonymous
2016-06-24T12:13:30+00:00

Hi Guys,

Every time I try to access my "Quick Notes" this is what I get. It stays stuck there forever. Is there a way to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-11-14T20:26:34+00:00

Hi everyone,

Some news - a fix for this issue has been released with update 16.0.7466.2038 or later for OneNote 2016 for Windows desktop. To download the update right away, open any Office app and click File > Account > Update Options >

Update Now.

If you can confirm the updated resolved the issue for you by replying back to this thread, it would be very helpful for the Office team and everyone here.

We appreciate your help.

Regards,

Noyonima

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-07T20:46:26+00:00

Hi everyone,

OneNote team had finished the investigation of this issue. There will be a updated version of OneNote 2016 that contains solution to this. Also, we have published an article documenting  way to work around the problem, should you experience it: https://support.office.com/article/d1e0568b-19f0-4fe7-adb0-923ed60a3587

Thank you for using OneNote and sorry for the trouble this issue is causing.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-25T22:39:17+00:00

    Afternoon Update, July 25, 2016

    I shut the computer off for some morning errands. Getting back on in late afternoon, I checked out the OneNote issue.  I had my Quick Notes notebook open when I shut the computer down in the morning. When I started the computer sure enough the issue was back and I had to go through the steps again of closing my Quick Note notebook and shutting down the Quick Note icon on the taskbar then restarting OneNote. Then everything worked again. 

    I also discovered that once I closed the Quick Note icon it was not coming back like I reported on earlier.    

    Upon starting OneNote with my Quick Note notebook closed and Quick Notes working, I let the Quick Note icon start up and left it running to see if Quick Notes would stop working. It had in the past.  I did some work in OneNote and went back and checked Quick Notes (bottom left side of the program) and it was still working. 

    I then opened and closed OneNote several times letting the Quick Note icon start up each time and stay running.  I discovered that Quicks Notes continued to work.  Whereas in the past Quick Notes would stop and go into the 'Loading" mode if Quick Note started up (the icon one). 

    Some have said here that closing your Quick Note notebook worked for them for a work around.  It seems it does now for me-at least for now.   And yes, as suggested I created a new Quick Notes notebook and pointed OneNote to it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-25T15:11:46+00:00

    Morning Update, July 25, 2106

    On this morning I started the computer. Opened OneNote.  Quick Notes at the bottom left side of the screen was not working. Again saying "Loading." I had my Quick Notes notebook open. It was working. I closed Quick Note via the icon. Still not working. I opened and closed OneNote a couple of times. Quick Notes still not working.  I closed my Quick Notes notebook. Still not working. I closed and opened OneNote and now Quick Notes is work.  When I started OneNote, the Quick Note Icon restarted. I closed it immediately. It opening for a few seconds does not seem to have an effect on disabling Quick Notes.   

    So my step are:

    1. Stop/close Quick Note via the Quick Note icon
    2. Close your open Quick Notes notebook
    3. Restart OneNote
    4. Quick Note icon will restart again. Close it immediately. 

    The only downside to this "fix" is Quick Note (the icon one) will restart and disable Quick Notes again putting it back in the "Loading" mode.  While writing this, the icon came back on and I did the above procedure. So far, it has not come back. Maybe it only does it once after you shut it back down. 

    Again, this issue all started for me when I updated from Office 13 to Office 365. 

    Until MS can fix this bug, if someone knows how to disable the  Quick Note icon, I am listening.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-25T07:39:52+00:00

    Hi Kentaro,

    Thanks for your message. My reply would have been pretty much the same as Steve_Bak 's above.

    Thanks,

    Carlos

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments