Inconsistent ability to modify Outline Level of custom Headings

Anonymous
2017-02-27T18:09:55+00:00

I'm using Word for Mac 15.31 in MacOS Sierra 10.12.3, but this issue appears to be cross-platform, since a Word-for-PC user has experienced it as well (see end of this post):

Here's what should be the procedure for modifying the Outline Level of a custom Heading:

  1. In the Styles Pane, click on the down-triangle next to the Heading whose Outline Level you want to adjust.
  2. Then select:  Modify Style –>  Format –> Paragraph –> Indents and Spacing –> Outline Level.

However, usually the Outline Levels are grayed-out and thus not changeable (for both built-in Headings and custom Headings).  The only procedure I've uncovered that consistently allows you to change the Outline Level for a custom Heading (this doesn't work for built-in Headings) is the following workaround.  Suppose you want to change the Outline Level of "Custom Heading 1":

  1. Highlight an existing Heading, whose style is "Custom Heading 1",  in the document.
  2. Go into the document's Paragraph dialog (as opposed to the Heading's Paragaph dialog), and change the Heading's Outline Level there.  
  3. Go back to the Styles Pane, click on the reverse triangle for Custom Heading 1, and then select  "Update to Match Selection".  

This roundabout method is obviously unnecessarily complicated and laborious — there's no good reason you shouldn't be able to do this directly, in the Styles Pane, with Modify Style –>  Format –> Paragraph –> Indents and Spacing –> Outline Level.  After all, why does Word offer "Outline Level" as an option under Modify Style, only to leave that option (usually) disabled?  

[Note that all my custom Headings were created based on styles of built-in Headings.]

Further, as I mentioned above, when it comes to built-in Headings, even this procedure doesn't work.

But here's the additional puzzle:  One's inability to directly modify the Outline Level of custom Headings (using Modify Style) is not consistent.  For instance, suppose you click some body text, and then change that text to a custom Heading style.  Then, usually, if you try  Modify Style –>  Format –> Paragraph –> Indents and Spacing –> Outline Level, you'll find that this custom Heading's Outline Level is no longer grayed out!  [I.e., you just have to first change some text to that Heading, and then you can internally modify the Heading's Outline Level; the problem is if the text already is in that Heading style, in which case Outline Level will typically be grayed-out.] As a further oddity, if that custom Heading was based on a built-in Heading, if you go to the corresponding built-in Heading, you'll usually see its Outline Level is no longer grayed out either!  But if you do some other stuff in the document, and then return to check either the custom Heading or the built-in Heading, you will see that their Outline Level pull-downs have reverted to a grayed-out status.

An inconsistent ability to modify the Outline Levels of Headings has also been observed by Word MVP Doug Robbins, who is using Word for PC (indicating this issue is cross-platform).  He found that, for built-in Headings, sometimes Outline Level is grayed out, and sometimes it's not. Here's an excerpt from one of Doug Robbin's posts at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice\_word-mso\_mac/three-issues-with-navigation-pane/9933f8eb-d25b-4c42-a743-623815949d60 :

For the Built-in Heading # styles, it is not possible to modify the level. (checking again, I find that it is possible.  I do not know why the Outline level: drop down was disabled when I took the screen shot.)

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2017-03-02T07:39:03+00:00

Modify Heading 3 first, then before doing anything else, access the Modify Style dialog for Heading 3 and change the Style Based on from "Heading 2"

To (no style) - it's at the top of the list.

If you do not do that, when you subsequently modify the Heading 2 style, Heading 3 will inherit the modification because it is based on Heading 2

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T08:24:07+00:00

    Hi Theorist9,

    To focus our resource on the case and work out a solution in an efficient manner, please continue monitoring your another threadin the forum. This helps other community member with the same issue to find related threads more quickly as well.

    Thanks,

    William

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T04:39:44+00:00

    Here are two annotated screenshots.  I get the same behavior Doug shows in his post. That's fine for updating a single heading, but I'm running into trouble because I'm trying to update more than just one Heading level:

    HERE IS STEP 1:  APPLY HEADING 1'S STYLE TO HEADING 2:

    IT WORKED, BUT IN A WAY THAT PREVENTS ME FROM BEING ABLE TO DO STEP 2, WHICH IS TO APPLY HEADING 2'S STYLE TO HEADING 3 [It didn't just update the style definition for Heading 2, it also updated every Heading 2 in the document itself.  As a result, there's no longer any original Heading 2 style in my document that I can apply to Heading 3.  I've got "Automatically Update" unchecked, which I assumed would prevent this action, but apparently "Automatically Update" refers to something else.  I checked Word's documentation but wasn't able to find any info. about its function.] [You can't get around this by creating a new style based on Heading 2 and saving it under a different name, because any Heading that is based on Heading 2 will also be converted to Heading 1's style.]:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T00:44:05+00:00

    Thanks for taking the time to do that; I know it's a lot of work to put together a series of screenshots like that.  I went through your exact sequence and it works fine on my Mac as well.  As soon as I get a chance, I'll create a series of screenshots showing what I'm doing and how it's failing, so you can try to reproduce it (or let me know if I'm doing something wrong and what to change).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-03-01T22:37:19+00:00

    Maybe it's a Mac problem?  (It would not be the first)

    However in Windows versions of Word, if I insert a Heading 1 style paragraph and the change the font to Red and then use the Update Heading 1 to Match Selection

    that is what happens

    Further, if I change the style applied to the text to Heading 2

    and then use the "Update Heading 1 to Match Selection"

    that is also what happens

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments