Text in Navigation Pane turns white

Anonymous
2017-01-25T05:16:11+00:00

In Word for Mac 2016, I am getting a weird issue where, after clicking on a heading in Navigation Pane, the text there turns white.  This causes it to blend with the background and to all but disappear.  The screen shot attached shows what I am talking about.  This does not always happen when clicking a heading, but it happens sporadically - and often.  How to fix?  (BTW, this does not happen on my Windows 10 machine)

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-07-21T17:24:48+00:00

Be sure to send feedback to Microsoft whenever you encounter this behavior. Click the Smile button in Word to get your message to Microsoft. This forum's primary audience is other Word users.

As Jim says, this forum is primarily used and supported by users. MS developers rarely pay attention to it.

The feedback option is in the File menu > Feedback command.

But to report problems I think you should use the "Send a Frown" button or the "Send A Suggestion" button. 

Personally, I prefer the suggestion because the "frown" is a black hole. No feedback to you.  The Suggestion takes you to the UserVoice forum. You can copy the link it creates for your "suggstion" so that you canreturn to it and to share with other people with the same problem so that they can comment on your submission and vote for it. That way more of the information about the problem is in one place.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T13:38:37+00:00

    I have been experiencing the same issue.

    Word version:

    Mac version:

    As described by the others here, the problem happens sporadically and in numerous (if not all) files. In my case, it happens quite often, but I am working with quite large files which seem to exacerbate a number of issues.

    I mostly notice the problem when I'm using split view and am going from one word file to the other. But there is no regularity in this (sometimes the file I am deselecting has the issue, sometimes the file I am selecting has the issue; sometimes nothing happens). It has also happened when I was not in split view, so it is definitely not restricted to split view.

    I also have not found any regularity in what to do to make the text turn black again. Clicking on it does not help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T07:22:27+00:00

    I'm afraid I don't currently have the time to set up a new Office 365 account.

    You weren't being asked to setup a new OFFICE account.

    The request was for you to create a new use account / profile on the Mac. Sometimes "corruption" of the Mac user profile has caused problems with Office applications. So a general troubleshooting process on the Mac is to create a new account and see if the problem goes away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T02:13:08+00:00

    Hi All,

    We have reported the issue to our related team. If there is any update, I will post back to let you know.

    Thanks,

    Ran

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-27T17:24:27+00:00

    I assume you mean the reverse triangle in the Documents Map.  I can't recall from earlier if that created the problem, so I just tried it now. In this current test, clicking on the triangle did not create the problem (that's not to say it might not have created it previously, but if so I don't remember).  I thus created the white text using the method I described above (going back and forth between the Thumbnails Pane and Document Map until it appeared), and then tried clicking on a reverse triangle.  Each time I did this, the text revealed by the triangle briefly flashed black before it went back to white. 

    I can add two other things I noticed:

    1. Yesterday I was changing the outline levels of some of the text in the document, to adjust how it appeared in the Documents Map.  As I was doing this (i.e. I was working in the document, not in the Navigation Pane), the text in the Documents Map would frequently go white, necessitating I restore it to black using the method I described earlier (clicking on the Reviewing Pane Tab and then back on the Documents Pane Tab).
    2. The white text is not restricted to the Documents Map.  Rarely, it also appears in the Navigation Pane's Find-and-Replace dialog—see screenshot below (the word in white is "dantain"):

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments