Text in Navigation Pane turns white

Anonymous
2017-01-25T05:16:11+00:00

In Word for Mac 2016, I am getting a weird issue where, after clicking on a heading in Navigation Pane, the text there turns white.  This causes it to blend with the background and to all but disappear.  The screen shot attached shows what I am talking about.  This does not always happen when clicking a heading, but it happens sporadically - and often.  How to fix?  (BTW, this does not happen on my Windows 10 machine)

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-07-21T17:24:48+00:00

Be sure to send feedback to Microsoft whenever you encounter this behavior. Click the Smile button in Word to get your message to Microsoft. This forum's primary audience is other Word users.

As Jim says, this forum is primarily used and supported by users. MS developers rarely pay attention to it.

The feedback option is in the File menu > Feedback command.

But to report problems I think you should use the "Send a Frown" button or the "Send A Suggestion" button. 

Personally, I prefer the suggestion because the "frown" is a black hole. No feedback to you.  The Suggestion takes you to the UserVoice forum. You can copy the link it creates for your "suggstion" so that you canreturn to it and to share with other people with the same problem so that they can comment on your submission and vote for it. That way more of the information about the problem is in one place.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-04-10T18:08:11+00:00

    Same problem on 10.12.4, Word 15.32 (170309).

    I also can't give a step-by-step scenario to reproduce the case but I can say that in my case it occurs when I work with a 136 pages document with "Track changes = enabled" mode. Last time it happened when I deleted a letter at the end of the header and then pressed CMD+Z. After CMD+Z navigation pane turned white. I made navigation pane black again clicking on headers in it and made a second try to reproduce the situation but with no success. 

    Huh... While writing this reply on my Apple Thunderbolt display I opened my Word document on a MacBook Pro's screen (main display). In the process of writing this comment a part of navigation pane in the document turned white. No changes to the document, nothing.

    Conclusion for my configuration

    Case 1:

    1. Track changes = enabled
    2. Document is opened on Main Display (unfocused).
    3. Do something with a program (Safari) opened on an Additional Display.
    4. No changes or something else with the opened document.

    Case 2:

    1. Track changes = enabled
    2. Document is opened on Main Display (focused).
    3. Make some changes to the document which lead to changes in a document map.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-04-10T17:28:09+00:00

    Our related team is still investigating on this issue. If I get any feedback from them, I will update here in the thread. Thanks for your patience.

    Regards,

    Ran

    Ran, can you report whether MS has been able to reproduce this issue on their own Mac computers?

    BTW, I initially reported this on MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 with Word 15.31.  I can now report that this issue continues on 10.12.4 with Word 15.32.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-30T03:32:10+00:00

    I also have not found any regularity in what to do to make the text turn black again. Clicking on it does not help. 

    When the text in your Document Map goes white, could you try switching to the Reviewing Pane and then back to the Document Map and let me know what happens? On my system, it makes the text turn back to black 100% of the time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-30T02:08:47+00:00

    Hi Liisa,

    Our related team is still investigating on this issue. If I get any feedback from them, I will update here in the thread. Thanks for your patience.

    Regards,

    Ran

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments