Text in Navigation Pane turns white

Anonymous
2017-01-25T05:16:11+00:00

In Word for Mac 2016, I am getting a weird issue where, after clicking on a heading in Navigation Pane, the text there turns white.  This causes it to blend with the background and to all but disappear.  The screen shot attached shows what I am talking about.  This does not always happen when clicking a heading, but it happens sporadically - and often.  How to fix?  (BTW, this does not happen on my Windows 10 machine)

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-07-21T17:24:48+00:00

Be sure to send feedback to Microsoft whenever you encounter this behavior. Click the Smile button in Word to get your message to Microsoft. This forum's primary audience is other Word users.

As Jim says, this forum is primarily used and supported by users. MS developers rarely pay attention to it.

The feedback option is in the File menu > Feedback command.

But to report problems I think you should use the "Send a Frown" button or the "Send A Suggestion" button. 

Personally, I prefer the suggestion because the "frown" is a black hole. No feedback to you.  The Suggestion takes you to the UserVoice forum. You can copy the link it creates for your "suggstion" so that you canreturn to it and to share with other people with the same problem so that they can comment on your submission and vote for it. That way more of the information about the problem is in one place.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T20:03:18+00:00

    I am having the same issue on Office 365, 2013 Macbook Pro 15". Really annoying. It happens on all of my documents. This becomes a major issue when I am working on documents that are 200+ pages, but still happens on documents that are only 10 pages. It happens randomly such as when I switch between different desktops, if I am copying and pasting, resizing the style pane, using smart lookup, and several other random occassions. A solution to this would be greatly appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2017-07-21T16:49:11+00:00

    Be sure to send feedback to Microsoft whenever you encounter this behavior. Click the Smile button in Word to get your message to Microsoft. This forum's primary audience is other Word users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-07-18T20:44:26+00:00

    I can confirm all observations @benbam101 did. Same MacOS version, same version of Word but with Office 365 subscription. I also think the issue is somehow connected with how Word as an application works with GPU or some other system layers. It is definitely not connected with particular files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-07-18T04:18:21+00:00

    I can confirm that this problem still persists

    Word Version: 15.36 (Not 365)

    MacOS: Sierra 10.12.5

    I at first thought that this was based around macros that I have on word, but have tried this on numerous files, with and without macros, on different displays, and with different documents open at the same time - I have made a few observations

    1. This problem is sporatic, but usually happens when switching between different headers and different documents, as well as apps. It is also not mutually exclusive between documents - some will be black, some white, but usually when one turns white they all do, and its manual to get all back to black.
    2. If you click enough headers, it will return to black text again, and then will shortly revert to the white text. It is also not a header 1/header 2 issue, its applicable to all. Scrolling does not help either, or opening/closing the triangle.
    3. This is not a font issue - have tried FontBooks comment, as well as word preferences in general
    4. This is not from a macro/acrobat based issue, as I have tested it numerous times within files
    5. I am almost positive that it is not a file specific issue. I am well aware that the MS people are looking into the file types themselves, but this spans across numerous files, whether they are downloaded, created, opened, or if they exist as .dotx or .docx. 

    As someone who uses word every day for at least 12 hours, This issue is incredibly annoying and significantly slows down time.

    I'm aware that MS is working on a fix, but just wanted to bump this thread and provide an update as to how my experience has gone. 

    I have also not experienced the mouse text change issue, if that helps.

    Thanks,

    Ben

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments