Text in Navigation Pane turns white

Anonymous
2017-01-25T05:16:11+00:00

In Word for Mac 2016, I am getting a weird issue where, after clicking on a heading in Navigation Pane, the text there turns white.  This causes it to blend with the background and to all but disappear.  The screen shot attached shows what I am talking about.  This does not always happen when clicking a heading, but it happens sporadically - and often.  How to fix?  (BTW, this does not happen on my Windows 10 machine)

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-07-21T17:24:48+00:00

Be sure to send feedback to Microsoft whenever you encounter this behavior. Click the Smile button in Word to get your message to Microsoft. This forum's primary audience is other Word users.

As Jim says, this forum is primarily used and supported by users. MS developers rarely pay attention to it.

The feedback option is in the File menu > Feedback command.

But to report problems I think you should use the "Send a Frown" button or the "Send A Suggestion" button. 

Personally, I prefer the suggestion because the "frown" is a black hole. No feedback to you.  The Suggestion takes you to the UserVoice forum. You can copy the link it creates for your "suggstion" so that you canreturn to it and to share with other people with the same problem so that they can comment on your submission and vote for it. That way more of the information about the problem is in one place.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-27T17:24:27+00:00

    I assume you mean the reverse triangle in the Documents Map.  I can't recall from earlier if that created the problem, so I just tried it now. In this current test, clicking on the triangle did not create the problem (that's not to say it might not have created it previously, but if so I don't remember).  I thus created the white text using the method I described above (going back and forth between the Thumbnails Pane and Document Map until it appeared), and then tried clicking on a reverse triangle.  Each time I did this, the text revealed by the triangle briefly flashed black before it went back to white. 

    I can add two other things I noticed:

    1. Yesterday I was changing the outline levels of some of the text in the document, to adjust how it appeared in the Documents Map.  As I was doing this (i.e. I was working in the document, not in the Navigation Pane), the text in the Documents Map would frequently go white, necessitating I restore it to black using the method I described earlier (clicking on the Reviewing Pane Tab and then back on the Documents Pane Tab).
    2. The white text is not restricted to the Documents Map.  Rarely, it also appears in the Navigation Pane's Find-and-Replace dialog—see screenshot below (the word in white is "dantain"):

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-27T10:55:05+00:00

    Hi Theorist9,

    Thanks for your updates.

    I’d like to confirm whether you can reproduce the issue via clicking the reverse triangle in the affected document.

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-26T19:37:36+00:00

    I tested with the “test document” but cannot directly reproduce the issue. By “click back and forth between the Document Map and Thumbnails Pane”, do you mean click that two tabs until the issue occur?....

    Meanwhile, your Word version is 15.31. Does the issue occur in the earlier version (Mac OS or Office suite) on your device? ...

    As you know, the issue is with the Document Map.  What I meant is that I switch to the Thumbnails Pane and then back to the Document Map (by clicking on their respective tabs). I keep repeating this cycle until the Document Map shows white text (generally I only need to go through a few cycles to see it).  I.e.:

    1. Start in Document Map
    2. Click on tab for Thumbnails Pane.
    3. Click on tab for Document Map.
    4. Glance at Document Map to see if text is white.  If not, keep repeating steps 2 through 4.

    Hopefully this description is clear enough that I don't need to supply a video. 

    I can't say if it occurs in an older version of Word; I've only noticed it with the current version, but it's probably only with the current version that I've used the Document Pane extensively.

    I'm afraid I don't currently have the time to set up a new Office 365 account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-26T07:27:13+00:00

    Hi Theorist9,

    Thanks for replying to our private message.

    I tested with the “test document” but cannot directly reproduce the issue. By “click back and forth between the Document Map and Thumbnails Pane”, do you mean click that two tabs until the issue occur? If it’s convenient, could you record a video for your reproducing this issue with this method? You may use a mobile phone and then upload the video via replying to Cliff’s private message.

    Note: I noticed that in your first reply, you mentioned there are several methods to reproduce this issue. You may record them in video. It will help us reproduce the issue from our side.

    Meanwhile, your Word version is 15.31. Does the issue occur in the earlier version (Mac OS or Office suite) on your device? You may alsocreate a new account, and then check if the issue can be reproduced with the new account profile.

    ***Disclaimer:****Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.*​

    Best regards,

    Tim

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments