Text in Navigation Pane turns white

Anonymous
2017-01-25T05:16:11+00:00

In Word for Mac 2016, I am getting a weird issue where, after clicking on a heading in Navigation Pane, the text there turns white.  This causes it to blend with the background and to all but disappear.  The screen shot attached shows what I am talking about.  This does not always happen when clicking a heading, but it happens sporadically - and often.  How to fix?  (BTW, this does not happen on my Windows 10 machine)

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-07-21T17:24:48+00:00

Be sure to send feedback to Microsoft whenever you encounter this behavior. Click the Smile button in Word to get your message to Microsoft. This forum's primary audience is other Word users.

As Jim says, this forum is primarily used and supported by users. MS developers rarely pay attention to it.

The feedback option is in the File menu > Feedback command.

But to report problems I think you should use the "Send a Frown" button or the "Send A Suggestion" button. 

Personally, I prefer the suggestion because the "frown" is a black hole. No feedback to you.  The Suggestion takes you to the UserVoice forum. You can copy the link it creates for your "suggstion" so that you canreturn to it and to share with other people with the same problem so that they can comment on your submission and vote for it. That way more of the information about the problem is in one place.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-26T00:16:43+00:00

    Hi Cliff

    I've checked this in a few of my Word files, and they all show the same problem.  A fresh document, which I just created and sent in a reply to your PM, also shows this problem.

    The best way to create the problem is to view it in Outline View, and then, in the Navigation Pane, click back and forth between the Document Map and the Thumbnails Pane until the problem appears.  In my PM, I also attached two screenshots showing two of the three variants of the problem I've seen:

    1. All the text is white.
    2. Some lines are white, some aren't.

    The third variant is the one shown in my last message

    Hope this helps!

    --Theorist9

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-25T10:14:40+00:00

    Hi Theorist9,

    To narrow down the issue, please confirm that the reproducing steps are the following.

    1. Create a new document in Word 2016 for Mac.
    2. Type some text in the document.
    3. Select a heading style.
    4. Click View>check the Navigation pane.

    If yes, I’d like you to confirm and provide the following.

    a. Do all the documents in your Mac have the same issue?

    b. If the issue happens in a specific document, for our further investigation, I have sent you a private message for you to upload the affected sample file. You can upload it via https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list.

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-25T00:55:15+00:00

    I also have this issue.  I'm running MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 with Word 15.31, on a MacBook Pro 11,3 (late 2014).  I've noticed I can sometimes get it to happen by switching to a different application, and then switching back to the document in Word.  Also, within the document, let's suppose I'm in the Navigation Pane's Document Map (that's where the problem is happening). If I switch to the Thumbnails Pane and then back to the Document Map, that will create the problem about 2 out of the 3 times.  If I instead switch to Find and Replace and back to the Document Map, that will create the problem about half the time.  And once I've created the problem, switching to the Reviewing Pane and then back to the Document Map corrects it 100% of the time.  

    I've attached two screenshots.  The first shows the typical problem. The second shows an occasional variant, in which the text is partially affected and partially not.  I can actually create the problem by sweeping the cursor over the text, which causes it to be irregularly "painted" into white (in an area several times the size of the cursor itself).  Alas, I can't get a screenshot of this, because the very act of covering the screen area with the screenshot box restores the text (but this is only an issue with the variant; obviously in the typical case I can get a screenshot, since that's what the first pic is).  Thus, to capture the variant, I had to take a picture of the screen with my camera.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-17T08:16:08+00:00

    Hi Paul,

    Please let us know your updates at your convenience if you need further help.

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments