OneNote does not sync

Anonymous
2016-08-11T10:45:46+00:00

Hi there,

This morning I started to have problems with OneNote 2013. First I got an error saying that one notebook (stored in OneDrive) could not sync: "We're sorry, something went wrong during sync. We'll try again later. (Error code: 0xE4020017)"

The errors were associated to a particular section. Following: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-issues-when-you-can-t-sync-OneNote-299495ef-66d1-448f-90c1-b785a6968d45, I tried to open that notebook in OneNote online. That worked although I could not open the section. Then I copied all the pages in that section to a newly created section. This did not help either. now two sections could not sync. Then I decided so sort the pages in that section and distributed (moved) the pages among various notebooks and sections. Now several of my notebooks cannot sync..... :-(

Finally I decided to close the notebook but now I cannot re-open it. it looks like all the data is still in OneDrive but i cannot sync the notebook to my local OneNote 2013 (windows 8) and also not to my ipad. 

This is quite frustrating. anyone with a suggestion/solution to my problems?

Thanks,

Raul 

PS: after moving various pages around i ended up with several empty sections. I deleted these sections from various notebooks but these sections keep on re-appearing after a few secs.... :- S

EDIT: I just noticed that there is something wrong with several of my notebook files stored in OneDrive. I wanted to make a back up of my notebooks by copying them to another location in OneDrive but the problematic notebooks cannot be copied... I hope that I did not loose any important file. I would appreciate receiving help from the Microsoft community to fix my issues. Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T17:10:31+00:00

    Having the same issues as everyone above with that error code ending in 17. What is going on with Microsoft / OneDrive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T17:35:28+00:00

    I've had exactly the same problem and mostly the same course of action as Raul, over the past 8+ hours:

     - OneDrive OneNotes don't sync, but those on network shares do

     - Deleted sections keep reappearing, even after emptying notebook's recycle bin

     - Data has disappeared from desktop and web versions in the recovery process of trying to move to other OneNotes

     - Now I have multiple problematic notebooks with bits and pieces of the original one

    More such threads have cropped up, like this one I already replied to: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office\_2010-onenote/onenote-failure-to-sync-and-not-problem-with/b555cae7-930e-4b22-b562-2679af94ca69

    Regardless of the client version or platform, it seems OneDrive is the common factor in all cases.

    I'd be happy if Microsoft could restore to the last properly sync'd version. Until then I've switched to manual sync and am not touching OneNote lest I lose more data.

    --Kartik

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T17:45:25+00:00

    Exactly the same problems here.   Just started today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T17:56:31+00:00

    I have Onenote 2016. Last night one of my notebooks had a sync error (0xE4020017). When I went to the Onenote Online, the Notebook is there and all the section tabs work except one. When it is clicked nothing happens. There is not even an error notice. It will not open the content. All the other sections were fine. 

    So, as is the common practice with Onenote errors, I created a new section in my desktop version (labeled "archive"). That showed up in the cloud. I copied over the section. It worked. But later the "archive" section no longer works, except just before I wrote this review.

    I also renamed the affected section, section1. The name transferred but none of the content did. I just get the same error number on the desktop. 

    I can create a new notebook, add a new section, even write into a new page and it syncs. But when I copy files from the affected section (via an *older backup* so it *cannot be corrupted local backup files*) I get the sync error again. 

    I have done a quick repair to no avail. I have closed the entire notebook. And I have reopened that notebook's backup into a newly named notebook. The name copied to the cloud. The section name copied. I copied one section (instead of all of them) but the content is missing again. No error named in the cloud. 

    Something squirrelly is happening to my cloud service. I pay for that service. MS email support just tells me to go here! Multi-billion company that does not have a redundant system to bypass this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T18:36:49+00:00

    Hi ConnerTenn,

    Interesting that you have found (part of) a solution.

    Exactly how did you delete the problematic sections? In OneNote online, in a local version on desktop or iPad?

    Did you do something with the local cache files?

    Best regards from Belgium,

    Bart

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments