OneNote does not sync

Anonymous
2016-08-11T10:45:46+00:00

Hi there,

This morning I started to have problems with OneNote 2013. First I got an error saying that one notebook (stored in OneDrive) could not sync: "We're sorry, something went wrong during sync. We'll try again later. (Error code: 0xE4020017)"

The errors were associated to a particular section. Following: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-issues-when-you-can-t-sync-OneNote-299495ef-66d1-448f-90c1-b785a6968d45, I tried to open that notebook in OneNote online. That worked although I could not open the section. Then I copied all the pages in that section to a newly created section. This did not help either. now two sections could not sync. Then I decided so sort the pages in that section and distributed (moved) the pages among various notebooks and sections. Now several of my notebooks cannot sync..... :-(

Finally I decided to close the notebook but now I cannot re-open it. it looks like all the data is still in OneDrive but i cannot sync the notebook to my local OneNote 2013 (windows 8) and also not to my ipad. 

This is quite frustrating. anyone with a suggestion/solution to my problems?

Thanks,

Raul 

PS: after moving various pages around i ended up with several empty sections. I deleted these sections from various notebooks but these sections keep on re-appearing after a few secs.... :- S

EDIT: I just noticed that there is something wrong with several of my notebook files stored in OneDrive. I wanted to make a back up of my notebooks by copying them to another location in OneDrive but the problematic notebooks cannot be copied... I hope that I did not loose any important file. I would appreciate receiving help from the Microsoft community to fix my issues. Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-19T13:03:07+00:00

    Hi Kartik,

    I want to start by thanking you for starting this thread because I had the same issue.  Nothing suggested here worked, but the following did work for me.

    I first pressed the Windows key + R to open the Run Window.  In the RunWindow, I entered the following:  

    %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

    This did not work because I got a "Location is not available" error message saying that C:\Users\K8Village\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\ is unavailable" and that "it might have been moved or deleted." 

    I right clicked on the OneDrive cloud icon in my File Explorer and found it under C:\Windows\OneDrive.   I have never moved the files and, as far as I know, this is where they were placed when first installed in early July 2016. Note that it has worked fine from here until recent Windows updates were installed last week.

    I created a new empty OneDrive folder in C:\Users\K8Village\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ and then clicked the "Move" button on the location tab of the properties window for the existing OneDrive folder (in  C:\Windows\OneDrive).  This moved all of the files to the new location, i.e., C:\Users\K8Village\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive.  

    NOTE:  For those of you that are not experienced in this kind of thing, you need to type your own user name between the slashes above that say \K8Village.

    I then opened OneNote, closed all of the open (empty) notebooks, and reopened them.  They immediately began syncing, and I am now up and running as usual.

    Whatever caused the problem clearly stemmed from the recent Windows updates and Microsoft needs to be repair it immediately.  I'm not holding my breath.

    I hope this helps others facing the same paralyzing issue.

    K8Village

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments