OneNote does not sync

Anonymous
2016-08-11T10:45:46+00:00

Hi there,

This morning I started to have problems with OneNote 2013. First I got an error saying that one notebook (stored in OneDrive) could not sync: "We're sorry, something went wrong during sync. We'll try again later. (Error code: 0xE4020017)"

The errors were associated to a particular section. Following: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-issues-when-you-can-t-sync-OneNote-299495ef-66d1-448f-90c1-b785a6968d45, I tried to open that notebook in OneNote online. That worked although I could not open the section. Then I copied all the pages in that section to a newly created section. This did not help either. now two sections could not sync. Then I decided so sort the pages in that section and distributed (moved) the pages among various notebooks and sections. Now several of my notebooks cannot sync..... :-(

Finally I decided to close the notebook but now I cannot re-open it. it looks like all the data is still in OneDrive but i cannot sync the notebook to my local OneNote 2013 (windows 8) and also not to my ipad. 

This is quite frustrating. anyone with a suggestion/solution to my problems?

Thanks,

Raul 

PS: after moving various pages around i ended up with several empty sections. I deleted these sections from various notebooks but these sections keep on re-appearing after a few secs.... :- S

EDIT: I just noticed that there is something wrong with several of my notebook files stored in OneDrive. I wanted to make a back up of my notebooks by copying them to another location in OneDrive but the problematic notebooks cannot be copied... I hope that I did not loose any important file. I would appreciate receiving help from the Microsoft community to fix my issues. Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T21:26:15+00:00

    I'm pretty sure that its still broken. I doing a bit more testing now and I'm still getting issues. The best option right now is probably to close it all down and save as much as you can, while trying to to cause issues with anything else. Eventually the issue should be fixed at which point you can bring back the backups.

    So far, i can get a new notebook to sync but I am only trying a little bit of text. The affected documents are still not working.

    Edit:

    It seems to be stable for now. I can sync inc and a picture.

    Edit2: 

    Nope, it failed now. another corrupted notebook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T21:17:22+00:00

    I want to know how to fix it. I still get sync errors after doing the standard work-arounds, just like the original post. It fails even when using my backup!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T21:12:17+00:00

    Having the same problem as well... Work related notebooks shared by my team have just bricked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T21:06:10+00:00

    I have Microsoft helpdesk on the phone right now...

    Hope they can help on (any/all of) these three points:

    1. What is the root cause (so we can prevent it, or know that we are safe now)
    2. Restore a backup from OneDrive (do they take backups?)
    3. Give a step by step description of how to rescue data when the issue occurs.

    Bart

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T20:48:33+00:00

    The backup did not work for me (!). It was a week old. So I thought it was the cloud. But since you got it working maybe not?

    As for support: they are worthless. I contacted them via OneDrive (which I pay for).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments