OneNote does not sync

Anonymous
2016-08-11T10:45:46+00:00

Hi there,

This morning I started to have problems with OneNote 2013. First I got an error saying that one notebook (stored in OneDrive) could not sync: "We're sorry, something went wrong during sync. We'll try again later. (Error code: 0xE4020017)"

The errors were associated to a particular section. Following: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-issues-when-you-can-t-sync-OneNote-299495ef-66d1-448f-90c1-b785a6968d45, I tried to open that notebook in OneNote online. That worked although I could not open the section. Then I copied all the pages in that section to a newly created section. This did not help either. now two sections could not sync. Then I decided so sort the pages in that section and distributed (moved) the pages among various notebooks and sections. Now several of my notebooks cannot sync..... :-(

Finally I decided to close the notebook but now I cannot re-open it. it looks like all the data is still in OneDrive but i cannot sync the notebook to my local OneNote 2013 (windows 8) and also not to my ipad. 

This is quite frustrating. anyone with a suggestion/solution to my problems?

Thanks,

Raul 

PS: after moving various pages around i ended up with several empty sections. I deleted these sections from various notebooks but these sections keep on re-appearing after a few secs.... :- S

EDIT: I just noticed that there is something wrong with several of my notebook files stored in OneDrive. I wanted to make a back up of my notebooks by copying them to another location in OneDrive but the problematic notebooks cannot be copied... I hope that I did not loose any important file. I would appreciate receiving help from the Microsoft community to fix my issues. Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T13:01:40+00:00

    I am using Microsoft Office 365 and have suddenly been having the same issues as Raul for notebooks on Onedrive. I am currently using Onenote Version 16.0.7070.2036 on Windows 10, but I think the problems were occurring before I updated my Onenote version.

    I have tried uninstall and reinstalling office, removing the old Onenote registry key folder (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OneNote), and using the web app. The problem sections cannot be synced or deleted, and any new notebooks that I create cannot be synced either, regardless of whether I create them on the computer or my ipad. I suspect this is a Onedrive issue.

    Let me know if there's any more information needed that can help with solving this issue.

    Cheers,

    Edwin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments