A family of Microsoft products that enable users to capture, organize, and reuse notes electronically.
Exactly the same problems here. Just started today.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi there,
This morning I started to have problems with OneNote 2013. First I got an error saying that one notebook (stored in OneDrive) could not sync: "We're sorry, something went wrong during sync. We'll try again later. (Error code: 0xE4020017)"
The errors were associated to a particular section. Following: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-issues-when-you-can-t-sync-OneNote-299495ef-66d1-448f-90c1-b785a6968d45, I tried to open that notebook in OneNote online. That worked although I could not open the section. Then I copied all the pages in that section to a newly created section. This did not help either. now two sections could not sync. Then I decided so sort the pages in that section and distributed (moved) the pages among various notebooks and sections. Now several of my notebooks cannot sync..... :-(
Finally I decided to close the notebook but now I cannot re-open it. it looks like all the data is still in OneDrive but i cannot sync the notebook to my local OneNote 2013 (windows 8) and also not to my ipad.
This is quite frustrating. anyone with a suggestion/solution to my problems?
Thanks,
Raul
PS: after moving various pages around i ended up with several empty sections. I deleted these sections from various notebooks but these sections keep on re-appearing after a few secs.... :- S
EDIT: I just noticed that there is something wrong with several of my notebook files stored in OneDrive. I wanted to make a back up of my notebooks by copying them to another location in OneDrive but the problematic notebooks cannot be copied... I hope that I did not loose any important file. I would appreciate receiving help from the Microsoft community to fix my issues. Thanks!
A family of Microsoft products that enable users to capture, organize, and reuse notes electronically.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Exactly the same problems here. Just started today.
I've had exactly the same problem and mostly the same course of action as Raul, over the past 8+ hours:
- OneDrive OneNotes don't sync, but those on network shares do
- Deleted sections keep reappearing, even after emptying notebook's recycle bin
- Data has disappeared from desktop and web versions in the recovery process of trying to move to other OneNotes
- Now I have multiple problematic notebooks with bits and pieces of the original one
More such threads have cropped up, like this one I already replied to: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office\_2010-onenote/onenote-failure-to-sync-and-not-problem-with/b555cae7-930e-4b22-b562-2679af94ca69
Regardless of the client version or platform, it seems OneDrive is the common factor in all cases.
I'd be happy if Microsoft could restore to the last properly sync'd version. Until then I've switched to manual sync and am not touching OneNote lest I lose more data.
--Kartik
Having the same issues as everyone above with that error code ending in 17. What is going on with Microsoft / OneDrive?
Same here. I'm using OneNote 2016 and 2013 on different computers (both Windows) and both seem to be affected. The Windows store app and the mobile app (android) are also affected.
I've tried everything that i can think of. I've cleared the cache, made new notebooks, deleted old ones, deleted pages, deleted sections, saved offline copies, re-synced offline copies to the Skydive, etc. Even copying the individual elements from the affected notebook to a new notebook resulted in the new notebook experiencing sync issues.
Opening the notebook in OneNote online doesn't help much either. Strangely enough, if i play around with it enough I can get it to open the pages. Once i do get it open i can see all the content intact but if I try to modify it, the changes won't be synced.
The desktop version also behaves like this. Sometimes I can get the pages to sync to the other app. This is usually slow and the "incomplete sync" error is displayed the whole time. After some time the sync error did disappear but once I clicked on the notebook, it tried to sync and the error reappeared. If I click off of it to another notebook the error would disappear.
I was watching my internet usage with task manager and i could see that it would sync for about 10 seconds then stop. I could then get it to continue to sync before it would stop again. Its almost like its timing out and stops syncing. I'm not sure if this is normal or if its even relevant to the issue. Thought i would just put it here if it helps to solve the issue.
I also tried creating a new notebook and seeing if it syncs. For the most part, it can sync fine. It can even sync ink but it runs into issues when I either copy things from the affected pages into it or it seems to cause issues if I add tags like check boxes. Once the section gets a sync error I usually can't recover it. Even this is inconsistent.
There is some hope; I was able to recover one of my notebooks twice by deleting the affected sections. This was my main notebook which contained the Quick Notes section. Now it only contains that Quick Notes section and the sync error is gone. I'm reluctant to try too much with that section though because i fear that i might loose it.
I'm at a loss for what is going on. Hopefully this was just some glitch and it will be resolved soon.
I'm also having the exact same issue today. I did a lot of work late last night, went to bed - and when I got up this morning I cannot access any of those notes either via OneNote or via OneDrive.
EDIT: I should add that I'm using OneNote for Mac so I'm hoping this is a OneDrive issue and can be resolved without loss of data!