Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T21:45:36+00:00

    I faced the same problem today. Working on Lenovo X260 notebook connected (via workstation) to Dell display. Read all the thread above and found that what solves problem for me is just opening lid of notebook at the time I am copying/pasting the chart from Excel to Powerpoint 2016. You don't have to do it to update the link - it works even if lid is closed. Ugly workaround, but helps until MS will fix the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-04T04:10:36+00:00

    Solution: as the issue appeared recently, I uninstalled ALL MS Office updates I could (December 13th back to October 4th 2017; the system did not allow to uninstall some), restarted the computer, and the problem's gone. I can embed or link the worksheet in PowerPoint, edit, etc.

    System: Windows 10 home 64b, MS Office 2007 Enterprise 32b.

    Unfortunately, I do not know which update was the culprit as there were too many of them to test every one, and not installing the security updates does not seem like a great long term solution, so still waiting for ms to fix the problem.

    On the other hand, the oldest posts about this problem date from way back so ms has ignored the problem for years. Motto: because they can!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-04T17:51:49+00:00

    I'm having the same issue with my work laptop (Dell ultrabook Latitude E7470), and I believe I have discovered the culprit for me at least. The truncation issue appears when I am at my desk working on my external monitors, however when I tried restarting my computer and unplugging from the dock using my laptop alone, the issue "resolved" and I am able to copy my excel tables into the word document.

    So it would appear the issue only occurs when I'm connected to and working from external monitors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T14:48:54+00:00

    Was having the same issue as all the other respondents while using a Dell laptop with external monitor connected.  As Bradly suggested, I unplugged the monitor and did the work only on the laptop screen--no truncation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T16:42:59+00:00

    Was having the same issue as all the other respondents while using a HP ProBook laptop with 2 external monitors connected.  I zoomed affected screen to 150% and was able to get it to past with no truncation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments