Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T22:56:50+00:00

    Hi Microsoft Dev team,

    This issue IS STILL OUTSTANDING

    Our entire marketing dept is being plagued by this issue. Any time you paste linked content from excel to powerpoint, the margins of the document are off by AT LEAST 5% or more. It ALWAYS cuts off some of the end. 

    Your support for this issue has been totally embarrassing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-10T12:41:01+00:00

    I am also experiencing this problem, and it appears to have started when I was issued with a new work pc.

    I copy a range in excel using Ctrl + C.

    In powerpoint I right-click to get paste options and choose the 'Paste As Picture' option

    The pasted picture is cropped on the right and the bottom.

    The entire range is included if I paste as html, but it does not include items such as gridlines.

    I can paste as bitmaps, but this pastes format free areas as white instead of transparent as I used to get.  

    This is more time consuming and does not suit some of the presentations I am used to updating.

    Zooming my screen does not work for me.

    I use an HP Elitebook 840 GP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-10T12:43:52+00:00

    And it does this even if I copy one cell from Excel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-27T09:19:56+00:00

    Hi All,

    I have had this problem (in fact I still do) and found the following workaround.

    I noticed that this only happened once in a while. 

    Here is the (my) trigger: Having more than one screen connected to the PC at the time of copying or interacting with the linked image.

    So:

    If I disconnect the PC from the Dock, I get everything working as it should.

    If I then reconnect to the dock, the images look fine. BUT. When I try to interact with them. (e.g. click on/move them or the cells they are linked to),  the error comes back.

    I can then save the workbook, disconnect from the dock and open the workbook again and they show up just fine.

    I have NO idea why this happens.

    I have two screens running. If I open the lid on the laptop, the error still exists.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-01T21:39:03+00:00

    Just to log that I have the same issue and it is driving me insane...    I couldn't get any screen size to work.

    Here's another work around.  If you are looking to just paste a picture of the spreadsheet into powerpoint, use the snipping tool.  I think this is a 10.1 function only....

    Press the windows icon and then type 'snipping tool'.   The snipping tool bar will pop up.   Choose the rectangular mode.   This will let you take a snapshot of a section of your screen, and then you can paste that picture into powerpoint using the usual paste picture function in powerpoint.

    Hopefully this is just a temporary fix so you can get some work done....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments