Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-18T09:53:04+00:00

    Hi Alan,

    I understand that you are facing issues with linking data from Excel spreadsheet to PowerPoint.

    I suggest you to refer to the following article and check if it helps in resolving your issue:

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Insert-Excel-data-in-PowerPoint-0690708A-5CE6-41B4-923F-11D57554138D

    Please post to us if you need any further assistance and we will assist you.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-18T13:45:31+00:00

    The article you were pointing to is exactly how I was linking the data (I was using Paste -> Paste Special -> Paste Link as the article stated).

    However, when I paste the link, it is not pasting the entire copied portion of the spreadsheet.  It is cutting off about 1/2 a column and 2 or 3 rows.  I have tried to update the link but it is not able to paste the entire copied portion of the spreadsheet. 

    Please note that the same thing happens when trying to paste the copied spreadsheet into MS Word. 

    Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-26T20:09:13+00:00

    I am having the same issue as Alan_ME above. The link you posted was not helpful at all and was rather basic. 

    Again, when we paste as a link or picture from excel, about 1/3 of the table or chart is cut off. I am working on Office 2016 and have a Lenovo Thinkpad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-27T00:55:41+00:00

    Hello Dustin,

    Kindly refer to the thread provided in the link below:

    Copy an Excel chart to another Office program

    Let us know what happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-17T20:47:56+00:00

    The thread that is referenced above didn't resolve this issue. I am using Paste > Paste Special > Paste Link in PowerPoint to copy tables that I made in Excel. This works, but after reopening the file, the right side and bottom are cut off (though the data does automatically update). I want the tables to automatically update in PowerPoint, when I enter the new data on a weekly basis. The steps in the "Copy an Excel chart to another Office program" do not help with this, unless I am missing something.

    What do I need to do to stop PowerPoint from truncating my tables?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments