Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-16T16:30:58+00:00

    Did anyone ever figure out the solution? I'm having the same issue now. Here are the two main instances I'm having issues with:

    1. Pasting an excel table as an image into Word, Outlook emails, or OneNote - the image is always cut off on the side/ bottom, regardless of selection.
    2. Editing an embedded spreadsheet in PowerPoint - similarly cut off. I've tried several solutions that I've read in the threads - nothing has worked. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled office.

    Please help!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T14:44:11+00:00

    I also have had this issue pasting Excel rows and columns into PowerPoint.  I am taking the following steps:

    (1) Select rows and columns in Excel.  Right click -> copy.

    (2) In PowerPoint, Right click -> Paste Options Embed.

    (3) Only a subset of the rows and columns appears.  

    This also happens if, in step 2, I choose Right Click -> Paste Options Picture.

    If I choose Paste Options Keep Source Formatting, then the complete set of rows and columns appears, but I cannot size it smaller.

    None of the links you have supplied address, or solve, this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-17T20:47:56+00:00

    The thread that is referenced above didn't resolve this issue. I am using Paste > Paste Special > Paste Link in PowerPoint to copy tables that I made in Excel. This works, but after reopening the file, the right side and bottom are cut off (though the data does automatically update). I want the tables to automatically update in PowerPoint, when I enter the new data on a weekly basis. The steps in the "Copy an Excel chart to another Office program" do not help with this, unless I am missing something.

    What do I need to do to stop PowerPoint from truncating my tables?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-27T00:55:41+00:00

    Hello Dustin,

    Kindly refer to the thread provided in the link below:

    Copy an Excel chart to another Office program

    Let us know what happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-10-26T20:09:13+00:00

    I am having the same issue as Alan_ME above. The link you posted was not helpful at all and was rather basic. 

    Again, when we paste as a link or picture from excel, about 1/3 of the table or chart is cut off. I am working on Office 2016 and have a Lenovo Thinkpad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments