Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-02-17T03:02:54+00:00

    Thanks for the images ... good start.

    But when I wrote "exact and detailed" I really meant it; step by step.

    For example, w/o straining, I can think of three different ways to copy selected content in Excel. How exactly did you do the copy?

    Likewise, there are several ways of pasting into PowerPoint (you mention only that you paste into OneNote, Word and Outlook). 

    It may also matter what type of slide you're pasting onto (blank or one with placeholders).

    Yup, sounds like a lot of overly fussy detail.  And yup, sometimes it really matters.  I'd pet the cat instead of wearing off my fingerprints with all this typing otherwise. ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-16T18:05:37+00:00

    I've imported my response as images so that I could keep the cropped versions of my screenshots. Please see below. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-16T18:03:09+00:00

    I got an email notice that K_B_GSOrg had posted detailed steps and screenshots, but it's not showing up here, and all the images are broken.

    Big thumbs up.

    Hello Benjamin_Birney_2017, 

    A thread that you are following on Microsoft Community has received a reply from K_B_GSOrg. 

    Title: Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

    Reply:

    Hi,

    I’d be glad to provide exact and detailed steps which produce the problem as this has become very frustrating for me and I would like a solution.

    Here is my Windows version:

    Here is my PowerPoint version:

     Here are the steps for the paste as image issue:

    1. I copy the selection in excel
    2. I paste image into Outlook/ Word/ OneNote and the selection is cut off

    Outlook:

    Word:

    OneNote:

    Read this reply on Microsoft Community.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-02-16T16:51:05+00:00

    As you've seen, several people have had this problem, but none of the regulars here have been able to reproduce it, and unfortunately w/o reliable means of reproducing the problem, MS has nothing to go on if they want to fix it.

    If anyone can provide *exact* and *detailed* steps that produce the problem every time, and include Windows and Office versions, one of us at least can try to repro the problem.

    For Windows version:

    Click Start button, rightclick Computer and choose Properties.

    Take a screenshot of the screen that appears.

    Be sure to either resize the screen to hide the activation code first.

    For Office/PowerPoint version:

    Start PowerPoint

    Choose File | Account (if Office 2013 or higher) or File | Help (if Office 2010)

    Take a screenshot of the screen that appears.

    Include the screenshots in your reply here or upload them to OneDrive/etc and include a link to them here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments