Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-10T12:41:01+00:00

    I am also experiencing this problem, and it appears to have started when I was issued with a new work pc.

    I copy a range in excel using Ctrl + C.

    In powerpoint I right-click to get paste options and choose the 'Paste As Picture' option

    The pasted picture is cropped on the right and the bottom.

    The entire range is included if I paste as html, but it does not include items such as gridlines.

    I can paste as bitmaps, but this pastes format free areas as white instead of transparent as I used to get.  

    This is more time consuming and does not suit some of the presentations I am used to updating.

    Zooming my screen does not work for me.

    I use an HP Elitebook 840 GP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T22:56:50+00:00

    Hi Microsoft Dev team,

    This issue IS STILL OUTSTANDING

    Our entire marketing dept is being plagued by this issue. Any time you paste linked content from excel to powerpoint, the margins of the document are off by AT LEAST 5% or more. It ALWAYS cuts off some of the end. 

    Your support for this issue has been totally embarrassing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-14T17:32:36+00:00

    Same issue.

    No explanation of detailed steps are required.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-09-14T17:28:07+00:00

    ISSUE!

    1. Highlight Table in excel
    2. CTRL + C
    3. Go to PowerPoint
    4. Click on a slide
    5. Home Tab
    6. Arrow under Paste Icon
    7. Paste Special 
    8. Select Past Link
    9. Highlight Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object
    10. Select OK
    11. Chart is truncated 

    I have also tried multiple ways of coping and multiple ways of pasting as a link.

    The customize your display works but I do not want to have to zoom my screen in every time I want to paste something.

    My coworkers are having the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-09-08T07:01:28+00:00

    Steve, when half a dozen office users (who know how to embed an object or a link) report an issue then the possibility of a real issue existing is noticeably higher, which requires more investigation. This problem has taken away more than 4 hours of my time trying to update my powerpoint slides.

    I followed instruction given by MCGIG005 and changing display settings to 125% resolved the issue. Now my question is why there is no KB on this issue? If there is, why it doesn't come up as top search results with metadata used as tags?

    Also if I email this deck to others do they also need to change display settings to see all content?

    And please remember details matters to us, paying users, too! Otherwise we could also pet the cat instead of using Microsoft products.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments