Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T18:22:49+00:00

    Yes! It has to do with zooming. If you go into display settings and set the size of text, apps, and other items to 100%, it should fix the problem. I find that I use ctrl+scroll to zoom in and out fairly often. This apparently messes with the way Office products copy and paste into each other. Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T18:03:13+00:00

    I am having this exact same issue. When I restart my computer, the issue goes away. But after a day or two, inevitably comes back. Has a solution been found yet? Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-02T17:18:05+00:00

    I got tired of changing the display size for each different monitor that I used.  What seemed to worked for me was turning on the Custom Scale Factor and setting to 100%.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-14T15:07:18+00:00

    I have had the same problem.  As soon as bring the second external display into play I see the truncation.  I am using a surface pro 4, and it doesn't matter if I connect the external displays directly to the surface, or go thru the docking station.

    This is crazy that to use excel and PowerPoint, or even copying it from an excel tab to an excel tab that I have to change my display configuration.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments