Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-10T12:43:52+00:00

    And it does this even if I copy one cell from Excel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-10T12:41:01+00:00

    I am also experiencing this problem, and it appears to have started when I was issued with a new work pc.

    I copy a range in excel using Ctrl + C.

    In powerpoint I right-click to get paste options and choose the 'Paste As Picture' option

    The pasted picture is cropped on the right and the bottom.

    The entire range is included if I paste as html, but it does not include items such as gridlines.

    I can paste as bitmaps, but this pastes format free areas as white instead of transparent as I used to get.  

    This is more time consuming and does not suit some of the presentations I am used to updating.

    Zooming my screen does not work for me.

    I use an HP Elitebook 840 GP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-16T18:03:09+00:00

    I got an email notice that K_B_GSOrg had posted detailed steps and screenshots, but it's not showing up here, and all the images are broken.

    Big thumbs up.

    Hello Benjamin_Birney_2017, 

    A thread that you are following on Microsoft Community has received a reply from K_B_GSOrg. 

    Title: Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

    Reply:

    Hi,

    I’d be glad to provide exact and detailed steps which produce the problem as this has become very frustrating for me and I would like a solution.

    Here is my Windows version:

    Here is my PowerPoint version:

     Here are the steps for the paste as image issue:

    1. I copy the selection in excel
    2. I paste image into Outlook/ Word/ OneNote and the selection is cut off

    Outlook:

    Word:

    OneNote:

    Read this reply on Microsoft Community.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more