Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-17T19:43:35+00:00

    Hi All,

    I tried everything in this thread and nothing worked until I set the magnification zoom level at 100%. I've never touched this setting before, but I found it set at 200%. This setting is found under "Windows Settings"->"Ease of Access"->"Magnifier".  Good luck out there

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T21:45:36+00:00

    I faced the same problem today. Working on Lenovo X260 notebook connected (via workstation) to Dell display. Read all the thread above and found that what solves problem for me is just opening lid of notebook at the time I am copying/pasting the chart from Excel to Powerpoint 2016. You don't have to do it to update the link - it works even if lid is closed. Ugly workaround, but helps until MS will fix the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-02-17T03:02:54+00:00

    Thanks for the images ... good start.

    But when I wrote "exact and detailed" I really meant it; step by step.

    For example, w/o straining, I can think of three different ways to copy selected content in Excel. How exactly did you do the copy?

    Likewise, there are several ways of pasting into PowerPoint (you mention only that you paste into OneNote, Word and Outlook). 

    It may also matter what type of slide you're pasting onto (blank or one with placeholders).

    Yup, sounds like a lot of overly fussy detail.  And yup, sometimes it really matters.  I'd pet the cat instead of wearing off my fingerprints with all this typing otherwise. ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-16T16:30:58+00:00

    Did anyone ever figure out the solution? I'm having the same issue now. Here are the two main instances I'm having issues with:

    1. Pasting an excel table as an image into Word, Outlook emails, or OneNote - the image is always cut off on the side/ bottom, regardless of selection.
    2. Editing an embedded spreadsheet in PowerPoint - similarly cut off. I've tried several solutions that I've read in the threads - nothing has worked. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled office.

    Please help!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-17T20:47:56+00:00

    The thread that is referenced above didn't resolve this issue. I am using Paste > Paste Special > Paste Link in PowerPoint to copy tables that I made in Excel. This works, but after reopening the file, the right side and bottom are cut off (though the data does automatically update). I want the tables to automatically update in PowerPoint, when I enter the new data on a weekly basis. The steps in the "Copy an Excel chart to another Office program" do not help with this, unless I am missing something.

    What do I need to do to stop PowerPoint from truncating my tables?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments