Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T22:56:50+00:00

    Hi Microsoft Dev team,

    This issue IS STILL OUTSTANDING

    Our entire marketing dept is being plagued by this issue. Any time you paste linked content from excel to powerpoint, the margins of the document are off by AT LEAST 5% or more. It ALWAYS cuts off some of the end. 

    Your support for this issue has been totally embarrassing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T14:44:11+00:00

    I also have had this issue pasting Excel rows and columns into PowerPoint.  I am taking the following steps:

    (1) Select rows and columns in Excel.  Right click -> copy.

    (2) In PowerPoint, Right click -> Paste Options Embed.

    (3) Only a subset of the rows and columns appears.  

    This also happens if, in step 2, I choose Right Click -> Paste Options Picture.

    If I choose Paste Options Keep Source Formatting, then the complete set of rows and columns appears, but I cannot size it smaller.

    None of the links you have supplied address, or solve, this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-18T13:45:31+00:00

    The article you were pointing to is exactly how I was linking the data (I was using Paste -> Paste Special -> Paste Link as the article stated).

    However, when I paste the link, it is not pasting the entire copied portion of the spreadsheet.  It is cutting off about 1/2 a column and 2 or 3 rows.  I have tried to update the link but it is not able to paste the entire copied portion of the spreadsheet. 

    Please note that the same thing happens when trying to paste the copied spreadsheet into MS Word. 

    Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T16:42:59+00:00

    Was having the same issue as all the other respondents while using a HP ProBook laptop with 2 external monitors connected.  I zoomed affected screen to 150% and was able to get it to past with no truncation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-09-14T17:28:07+00:00

    ISSUE!

    1. Highlight Table in excel
    2. CTRL + C
    3. Go to PowerPoint
    4. Click on a slide
    5. Home Tab
    6. Arrow under Paste Icon
    7. Paste Special 
    8. Select Past Link
    9. Highlight Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object
    10. Select OK
    11. Chart is truncated 

    I have also tried multiple ways of coping and multiple ways of pasting as a link.

    The customize your display works but I do not want to have to zoom my screen in every time I want to paste something.

    My coworkers are having the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments