Onenote 2016 compatibility issue with Onenote 2010

Anonymous
2015-10-08T23:37:43+00:00

Help... I'm running desktop version of Onenote (from 365 subscription) on Windows 10 computer in a small office. I recently updated to Onenote 2016, and have hit a major snag/compatibility issue.

My team (3 others) and I rely heavily on Onenote for collaborative projects and access a notebook (Onenote 2010-2016 file format) stored on a central local server.  They are all using Onenote 2010 desktop version on Windows 7 machines.  After updating to Onenote 2016 desktop version, every time I edit a page, it now (on their machines) says the page is corrupted, stops syncing the page on their machines, and prompts them to repair the section. After repairing, duplicate sections are made, and if I edit them, it corrupts it again, starting a vicious cycle.  Although they have issues and get the corruption prompt, my Onenote (2016) doesn't report any problem and I can make changes and operate normally.  Needless to say this has caused some major hair-pulling.  Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T22:14:05+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried it, but the problem remains.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-13T15:47:18+00:00

    We are experiencing the same problem. Shared notebooks (latest file format) on a network file share accessed by OneNote 2010, 2013, and 2016...

    • Edits made in 2010 show up in all versions with no problems
    • Edits made in 2013 show up in all versions with no problems
    • Edits made in 2016 show up in 2016 and 2013 with no problems, but result in corrupt sections when the notebooks are synced in 2010

    We had to revert the 2016 upgrades to 2013 to continue working collaboratively. It would be great to have this addressed before 2016 is rolled out automatically to our Office 365 machines.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-18T15:08:42+00:00

    I have the exact same (SharePoint/Onenote) corruption problem with MSO2016 although there were no issues in the past with OneNote in MSO2010 or MSO2013 .  We reverted to MSO2010 and everything works fine again.  However, this is a real OneNote MSO2016 bug that Microsoft needs to fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-19T10:05:47+00:00

    The same problem is reported by our customer on our network, and it seems that it cannot be rollback to a compatible version !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-20T04:35:34+00:00

    We have exactly the same problem in our office. I recently updated Office to check out some new features. My colleagues still work with OneNote 2010.

    Now everytime I edit a page, they get a page corruption error, OneNote 2010 tries to repair the page, they have to clear up their caches and afterwards the whole page is marked as edited by "unknown".

    This is absolutely not acceptable in a business environment and I am very angry that there is still no solution from Microsoft up to now.

    Some more details:

    • all running Windows 7 in a company environment
    • one Office 2016 installation
    • other colleagues still use Office 2010
    • not connected to Office Online
    • notebook is stored in a network share and accessed by team

    @Microsoft Support: Are you actively investigating this topic and working on a solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments