Onenote 2016 compatibility issue with Onenote 2010

Anonymous
2015-10-08T23:37:43+00:00

Help... I'm running desktop version of Onenote (from 365 subscription) on Windows 10 computer in a small office. I recently updated to Onenote 2016, and have hit a major snag/compatibility issue.

My team (3 others) and I rely heavily on Onenote for collaborative projects and access a notebook (Onenote 2010-2016 file format) stored on a central local server.  They are all using Onenote 2010 desktop version on Windows 7 machines.  After updating to Onenote 2016 desktop version, every time I edit a page, it now (on their machines) says the page is corrupted, stops syncing the page on their machines, and prompts them to repair the section. After repairing, duplicate sections are made, and if I edit them, it corrupts it again, starting a vicious cycle.  Although they have issues and get the corruption prompt, my Onenote (2016) doesn't report any problem and I can make changes and operate normally.  Needless to say this has caused some major hair-pulling.  Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-26T10:08:36+00:00

    Here is another problem where OneNote files were becoming corrupted when edited in different versions. Maybe their solution will work for this problem:

    PDF’s printed to OneNote 2016 DO NOT SYNC

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-onenote/serious-regression-in-onenote-2016-has-made-it-to/f20f4a08-b76e-4c9d-8868-ab18bc64b634

    <snip>

    Here’s where it gets interesting.  I installed OneNote 2013 desktop standalone on my Surface.  If I sync the printouts using OneNote 2013 desktop it works.  And, it FIXES the printouts on the page so other OneNote clients CAN open them.  So after syncing the page with OneNote 2013 on any other computer, now I can see the page on the web and on the OneNote metro version on my Surface.

    In summary, syncing a notebook with Printouts from OneNote 2016 breaks until you sync that notebook to a OneNote 2013 desktop client, which fixes it.

    </snip>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-26T06:54:22+00:00

    Hi,

    do you still track this issue?

    Seems to be a Problem that can be easily simulated..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T13:48:27+00:00

    I am wondering if anyone (aka Microsoft) has come up with a solution to this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-03T16:58:22+00:00

    I will refrain to upgrade to One Note 2016 on the three pc I use for business until I see some answer by Microsoft indicating that they have resolved this bug. And of course I will spread the word about the fatal flow that they have introduced with the new release.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-29T12:34:15+00:00

    Same Problem here.

    Two People working with OneNote2016 , Rest (about 10 People) working with 2010. All Pages touched with 2016 are not synced by 2010.

    Die OneNote Files are on a Network Drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments