Onenote 2016 compatibility issue with Onenote 2010

Anonymous
2015-10-08T23:37:43+00:00

Help... I'm running desktop version of Onenote (from 365 subscription) on Windows 10 computer in a small office. I recently updated to Onenote 2016, and have hit a major snag/compatibility issue.

My team (3 others) and I rely heavily on Onenote for collaborative projects and access a notebook (Onenote 2010-2016 file format) stored on a central local server.  They are all using Onenote 2010 desktop version on Windows 7 machines.  After updating to Onenote 2016 desktop version, every time I edit a page, it now (on their machines) says the page is corrupted, stops syncing the page on their machines, and prompts them to repair the section. After repairing, duplicate sections are made, and if I edit them, it corrupts it again, starting a vicious cycle.  Although they have issues and get the corruption prompt, my Onenote (2016) doesn't report any problem and I can make changes and operate normally.  Needless to say this has caused some major hair-pulling.  Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-14T14:50:30+00:00

    We found that once the corruption is done by 2016, there is no going back.  If two 2010 Onenote computers edit the document no issue, however if 2013 Onenote edits we get the same error as 2016.  Has anyone found a work around once the damage has been done?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-14T14:48:38+00:00

    Here is the latest update I got from Microsoft on this issue:

    "

    I reviewed the internal documentation related to the filed bugs and would like to update you that as per the latest information the problem is within OneNote 2010 rather than 2013 or 2016. The OneNote Product Group is actively working with the highest priority to get this fixed in OneNote 2010.

    As soon as I have more information to share, I’ll let you know. Please don’t hesitate to contact me for any further questions or concerns.  "

    Not much of an improvement from the last time.  :-( not impressed by Microsoft on such a critical issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-14T14:26:53+00:00

    Thanks for sharing!

    Installing the free Onenote 2013 for PC is a good workaround to the compatibility issue between Onenote 2016 and 2010, after that I was able to edit the notes that we used to share on the network. 

    http://www.onenote.com/Download

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-03T18:39:13+00:00

    Same issue.

    PLEASE GET THIS FIXED ASAP!

    It's screwing up all our Notebooks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-30T13:14:59+00:00

    I opened a ticket with Microsoft and it is a known issue.  They have stated the following on 11/25/2015:

    Thanks for your time yesterday.As per our discussion I have tried tests on my end in lab machines with OneNote 2010 and OneNote 2016 and were able to reproduce the issue.

    Steps to reproduce the issue:

    1. Created a notebook in OneNote 2010.
    2. Open the same notebook in OneNote 2016 (on a different machine).
    3. Edit the notebook from OneNote 2016.
    4. Try to sync the notebook on the second machine.
    5. Error message is displayed in OneNote 2010: OneNote cannot access the notebook cache file.  It my be corrupted. OneNote will restart and create a new cache file.  Error Code 0xE00001C5

    As per my investigation and research we see that there is already a bug reported regarding this issue and Request for Hotfix is already filed with the Product Group.

    There is no ETA as of now on the Hotfix. I shall update you with the status.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments