Onenote 2016 compatibility issue with Onenote 2010

Anonymous
2015-10-08T23:37:43+00:00

Help... I'm running desktop version of Onenote (from 365 subscription) on Windows 10 computer in a small office. I recently updated to Onenote 2016, and have hit a major snag/compatibility issue.

My team (3 others) and I rely heavily on Onenote for collaborative projects and access a notebook (Onenote 2010-2016 file format) stored on a central local server.  They are all using Onenote 2010 desktop version on Windows 7 machines.  After updating to Onenote 2016 desktop version, every time I edit a page, it now (on their machines) says the page is corrupted, stops syncing the page on their machines, and prompts them to repair the section. After repairing, duplicate sections are made, and if I edit them, it corrupts it again, starting a vicious cycle.  Although they have issues and get the corruption prompt, my Onenote (2016) doesn't report any problem and I can make changes and operate normally.  Needless to say this has caused some major hair-pulling.  Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-03T21:39:10+00:00

    To avoid this you need up to date versions of all Onenote versions you use (it is/was a known bug).

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-10-03T17:00:44+00:00

    My firm is in the process of upgrading all of our users to Office 2016, including OneNote. I installed 2016 about 2 weeks ago and immediately started having issues collaborating with people on 2013 and, perhaps, 2010. The files get corrupted: the tags turn to stars and shortcuts are turned into the path/file name. In addition, the users get 'corrupted file' errors.

    When this happens, the notation as to who changed the file is 'Unknown' so I can't trace the root cause.

    I collaborate with as many as 30 people at a time and I have spent many hours restoring the files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-10T13:23:32+00:00

    I had several people test and it appears to be working correctly now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-09T21:58:05+00:00

    It's out. I have yet to test. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114410

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-02-08T14:55:46+00:00

    We are experiencing the same issue.  Also if a pdf is added to the 2010 version, the 2016 doesn't receive it.

    Hope this gets corrected.

    Also a side note for others.  If you take a laptop home that and bring it back, make sure the server drive is open or it won't connect either.

    Thanks for the poster for bringing this to light.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments