Onenote 2016 compatibility issue with Onenote 2010

Anonymous
2015-10-08T23:37:43+00:00

Help... I'm running desktop version of Onenote (from 365 subscription) on Windows 10 computer in a small office. I recently updated to Onenote 2016, and have hit a major snag/compatibility issue.

My team (3 others) and I rely heavily on Onenote for collaborative projects and access a notebook (Onenote 2010-2016 file format) stored on a central local server.  They are all using Onenote 2010 desktop version on Windows 7 machines.  After updating to Onenote 2016 desktop version, every time I edit a page, it now (on their machines) says the page is corrupted, stops syncing the page on their machines, and prompts them to repair the section. After repairing, duplicate sections are made, and if I edit them, it corrupts it again, starting a vicious cycle.  Although they have issues and get the corruption prompt, my Onenote (2016) doesn't report any problem and I can make changes and operate normally.  Needless to say this has caused some major hair-pulling.  Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-20T12:45:50+00:00

    Lets hope this fixes the issue.  

    Hello tsmith171,

    we are having the same issue in our Environment. Any news from Microsoft about  the fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-12T20:24:47+00:00

    Thanks for the update.

    Another way to get the "Private Fix" is to run OFFCAT.exe.  It will scan your machine and identify potential unreleased fixes for your machine.  Eventually, but BEFORE Feb, OffCat may identify this fix you have mentioned.

    Trouble Shoot Office - MS Office Configuration Analyzer Tool - OffCat.exe - Test for corrupt Office installation - Works with Office 2003-2013/365 - ID potential HotFix updates

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36852

    2015 05 01- Using OffCAT to Solve Problems with Microsoft Office

    https://www.petri.com/using-offcat-to-solve-problems-with-microsoft-office

    The Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT) is a free download from Microsoft that was developed by the Office support team to detect common configuration anomalies that are known to cause problems for customers.


    Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool 2.1 Download

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36852


    QuickStart wiki - OffCAT: Office Configuration Analyzer Tool

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/wiki/office_2013_release-office_install/offcat-office-configuration-analyzer-tool/593b8526-2d46-4d52-aa0c-37b0909fcc04


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-11T16:59:02+00:00

    I received the following communication from Microsoft in regards to this.  I have also requested an early release, we will wait and see if I get it.  

    This is to inform you that as per the latest update received from the Product Group, the fix is scheduled to be released with February PU if there are no problems with the packaging. We are also aware of requests for Critical On Demand fixes from certain customers and if possible, the Product Group might release a private fix in the meantime for testing.

    Lets hope this fixes the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-22T15:21:55+00:00

    Thanks for the update. We ended up just upgrading the OneNote 2010 users to 2016 since its free as a work around for now.

    Here is the link for anyone else that needs it.

    http://www.onenote.com/

    Seems like the only thing that you can really do now until they fix this bug is have everyone on 2010 or 2013 and not 2016 or have everyone on 2016.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-12-22T15:11:22+00:00

    The most recent update I have is from 12/14/2015 and they states that is it scheduled to be fixed in January 2016.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments