Word 2013 Table of contents - page numbers all change to 2 when print (or print preview)

Anonymous
2015-03-24T07:04:25+00:00

I have a single section document in Word 2013.  The first page is a TOC.  The document is 4 pages

long and has three Level 1 Heading styles through out the document.  The TOC initially appears correct. 

When I go to Print Preview the TOC will revert all page numbers to 2. 

Changing the Options "Update fields before printing" and  "Allow fields containing tracked changes to update before printing" has no effect (before anyone suggests this).

The only solution is to manually update the TOC, save to PDF, and print the PDF.

Anyone can reproduce this problem. Try it....

  1. Start with blank document
  2. Insert a TOC (ignore the error message, we will come back to this)
  3. Go to the end of the document and insert a page break to move to page 2
  4. Now type a heading in Heading 1 style and press enter
  5. type some dummy text (=rand(20) for example)
  6. Continue steps 4 and 5 to insert more headings and dummy text.
  7. Now return to the top (page 1) and update the TOC
  8. So far so good.  Everything working well
  9. Now go to Print Preview (Ctrl+P)
  10. Everything is still good
  11. Escape back to the document
  12. Go to Print Preview again
  13. AGGGHHHH! All the page numbers have reverted to page 2
  14. Happens every time without fail.  Totally reproducible on all our office PCs.

I have seen many descriptions of this behavior on different forums and not one solution. But I am like the proverbial dog with a bone - I will not let this issue go until MS gives me a solution !

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-29T16:38:25+00:00

    Not so unusual I think - eg print the document, not happy with it, do a bit more work on it and print it again?  I don't think this is an unusual situation. 

    The problem will occur if you try to print the document more than once at any time in that session.  Only fix is to manually update, then close document and reopen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. John Korchok 236.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-03-29T15:46:57+00:00

    In your original post, you caused this effect by doing a Print Preview, closing it and immediately doing another Print Preview. I imagine few people do that exact sequence, so it isn't a problem for most people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-29T10:39:38+00:00

    Thanks Stefan

    Excellent suggestion, and I had already considered this.  I also considered Shift + Ctrl + F9 to completely unlink the fields.

    Interestingly Ctrl + F11 does not work in this scenario.  The field updates in Print Preview even when locked !!!

    Shift + Ctrl + F9 works, but our documents are quite dynamic (ie we change the content frequently), so this is a pain.

    I still cant understand how this is not a massive problem for Word users out there.  Everyone who I ask to try this has the same problem.  Why is there no outcry to MS that TOCs do not work?  Am I the only one using TOCs ???????

    EDIT - Locking the fields with Ctrl F (as suggestion by Stefan) does work.  Ignore the above rant as I was not locking the field correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-03-26T19:27:50+00:00

    Thanks for the update.

    Note that you can do the following, as a (temporary) workaround: After editing is completed, update the TOC field and then lock it.

    To lock fields in the selection, use Ctrl+F11. (If you want to unlock selected fields, use Ctrl+Shift+F11.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-03-26T13:43:45+00:00

    Just a got a reply from MS....

    Mona LiMicrosoft Support Engineer

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for your explanation. Now I understand that I’ve exactly reproduced the same issue like yours.

    I truly understand how inconvenient you feel about the bug. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that there’s really nothing I could do except waiting for our Product team responding my bug report. And that, according to the bugs I reported before, really will need a very long time since this will related to the editing of the underlying code .

    If you really need a solution immediately in your case, I suggest that you submit a professional support incident by phone per the wizard at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-usso a dedicated support professional can assist you in a more efficient manner.

    I feel very sorry for the inconvenience. Your kindly understanding is really appreciated.

    Best Regards,

    Mona Li

    Microsoft Partner Support Community Technical Support Engineer

    Microsoft Global Partner Services

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments