Word 2013 Table of contents - page numbers all change to 2 when print (or print preview)

Anonymous
2015-03-24T07:04:25+00:00

I have a single section document in Word 2013.  The first page is a TOC.  The document is 4 pages

long and has three Level 1 Heading styles through out the document.  The TOC initially appears correct. 

When I go to Print Preview the TOC will revert all page numbers to 2. 

Changing the Options "Update fields before printing" and  "Allow fields containing tracked changes to update before printing" has no effect (before anyone suggests this).

The only solution is to manually update the TOC, save to PDF, and print the PDF.

Anyone can reproduce this problem. Try it....

  1. Start with blank document
  2. Insert a TOC (ignore the error message, we will come back to this)
  3. Go to the end of the document and insert a page break to move to page 2
  4. Now type a heading in Heading 1 style and press enter
  5. type some dummy text (=rand(20) for example)
  6. Continue steps 4 and 5 to insert more headings and dummy text.
  7. Now return to the top (page 1) and update the TOC
  8. So far so good.  Everything working well
  9. Now go to Print Preview (Ctrl+P)
  10. Everything is still good
  11. Escape back to the document
  12. Go to Print Preview again
  13. AGGGHHHH! All the page numbers have reverted to page 2
  14. Happens every time without fail.  Totally reproducible on all our office PCs.

I have seen many descriptions of this behavior on different forums and not one solution. But I am like the proverbial dog with a bone - I will not let this issue go until MS gives me a solution !

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-09T18:13:05+00:00

    Happening to me also.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-22T11:07:24+00:00

    Thank you, thank you. I have been having this same issue when I save a docx using Win 10 & Word 2013. Your workaround has put an end to my hair loss.

    I've also tried the Ctrl F11 solution and, while that too works, it doesn't allow me to update the TOC without unlocking the field (one too many steps for someone who has more than their fair share of senior moments).

    Cheers

    Lynn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-24T03:45:40+00:00

    Looks like Keith's trick helps by somehow forcing re-pagination, at least that's what Word said it was doing after playing with the views.

    Thanks for your help everyone!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-29T09:47:55+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-09-14T15:35:18+00:00

    I have been told by colleagues that my 'Normal' template might have been causing this TOC issue... 

    ...another friend and colleague suggested the documents I had been using when I originally noticed the TOC glitch had become corrupt...

    ...so I deleted the 'Normal' template and, after re-opening Microsoft Word I decided to create a brand new document with a brand new Table of Contents to see if deleting the Normal template, and not using previous documents, would fix the issue - I can confirm neither of these works!

    Keith

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uenb_2T63UQ

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments