Word 2013 Table of contents - page numbers all change to 2 when print (or print preview)

Anonymous
2015-03-24T07:04:25+00:00

I have a single section document in Word 2013.  The first page is a TOC.  The document is 4 pages

long and has three Level 1 Heading styles through out the document.  The TOC initially appears correct. 

When I go to Print Preview the TOC will revert all page numbers to 2. 

Changing the Options "Update fields before printing" and  "Allow fields containing tracked changes to update before printing" has no effect (before anyone suggests this).

The only solution is to manually update the TOC, save to PDF, and print the PDF.

Anyone can reproduce this problem. Try it....

  1. Start with blank document
  2. Insert a TOC (ignore the error message, we will come back to this)
  3. Go to the end of the document and insert a page break to move to page 2
  4. Now type a heading in Heading 1 style and press enter
  5. type some dummy text (=rand(20) for example)
  6. Continue steps 4 and 5 to insert more headings and dummy text.
  7. Now return to the top (page 1) and update the TOC
  8. So far so good.  Everything working well
  9. Now go to Print Preview (Ctrl+P)
  10. Everything is still good
  11. Escape back to the document
  12. Go to Print Preview again
  13. AGGGHHHH! All the page numbers have reverted to page 2
  14. Happens every time without fail.  Totally reproducible on all our office PCs.

I have seen many descriptions of this behavior on different forums and not one solution. But I am like the proverbial dog with a bone - I will not let this issue go until MS gives me a solution !

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-14T15:35:18+00:00

    I have been told by colleagues that my 'Normal' template might have been causing this TOC issue... 

    ...another friend and colleague suggested the documents I had been using when I originally noticed the TOC glitch had become corrupt...

    ...so I deleted the 'Normal' template and, after re-opening Microsoft Word I decided to create a brand new document with a brand new Table of Contents to see if deleting the Normal template, and not using previous documents, would fix the issue - I can confirm neither of these works!

    Keith

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uenb_2T63UQ

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-09-12T02:34:37+00:00

    I figured as much. I have Snagit and have captured simple videos with it--haven't had the need for Camtasia, but I love, love, love Snagit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-12T01:18:07+00:00

    Confirming the issue is still there in Word 2016.  Why can't MS fix this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-11T21:06:38+00:00

    Wow, thank you for your positive feedback.  I used TechSmith's Camtasia for the videos.

    Keith

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-09-11T20:54:58+00:00

    I apologies if I have broken any rules by providing these links.

    No rules at all. As you'll have noted, inserting YouTube links now embeds the video, which is even more helpful. Very nice videos, by the way. I'd be interested to know what application you used to create them (looks like a lot of work!).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments