Undo won't work MS Word 365 on Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-09-25T18:25:33+00:00

In the toolbar at the top of Word, the UNDO option no longer works. Save, Redo, and Speak still function properly. Since Windows 10 upgrade, any program I open uses so much memory and CPU, typing and deleting are jerky and slow, so I use undo a lot. What the heck???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-26T13:11:22+00:00

    Hello,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

    Please provide more information before we proceed.

    1.       What happens when you tap/click on undo option? Is it greyed-out?

    2.       Does this issue persist in all Word document or any specific documents only?

    You may try pressing Ctrl + Z from the keyboard and check whether undo works. Also check and verify if Undo button is enable by clicking on the dropdown button next to Redo button.

    I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-26T14:19:55+00:00

    Thank you for your quick response.

    The undo is grayed out and completely inoperable in every document I opened the last several days.

    I tried CTRL Z in several documents, and it does nothing.

    Last, I clicked the dropdown and Undo is enabled.

    I don't know if my other recent problems with Word freezing and crashing are because of this or not, but the last week or two have been very frustrating. I'm an editor and a writer, and use Word exclusively for 9 or 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. I can't tell you the number of hours' work I've lost because of Word glitches.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-28T18:20:09+00:00

    Kathryn,

    Exactly the same problem and profession for me. It's SO painful! Hope you (we) get an answer ASAP!

    Lisa

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-29T13:45:52+00:00

    LISA!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I'm a little excited. I didn't mean to shout. ;-) This morning, I posted my problem on the all-knowing FaceBook and got a response within minutes. I was advised to uninstall Office and then re-install. As of right now, I have my UNDO back. My CPU and Memory are still spastic, but for right now, I can live with the dial up flashbacks. Try it, 'cause it certainly can make things worse.

    Ignore my excitement. It didn't take long for it to gray out again. Back to the drawing board.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-09-29T17:18:59+00:00

    Hello Lisa,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

    You may start Office Word application in safe mode using the following link and check if it works as expected.

    If Office Word works as expected in application safe mode, then disable the add-in(s) by following the steps from the link below and verify the status.

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspX

    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments