Undo won't work MS Word 365 on Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-09-25T18:25:33+00:00

In the toolbar at the top of Word, the UNDO option no longer works. Save, Redo, and Speak still function properly. Since Windows 10 upgrade, any program I open uses so much memory and CPU, typing and deleting are jerky and slow, so I use undo a lot. What the heck???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-30T19:40:29+00:00

    I totally feel your pain. I used the Fix It option this morning. It took running it twice and reinstalling Office twice before I gave up and installed Office 2016. Yes, four hours wasted again today, but I'm happy to say so far it is working. Good luck. I managed to finish my edit today. I'll cross my fingers for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-09-30T17:34:45+00:00

    Did you try Safe mode, as Doug suggested?

    If things work properly in Safe mode, that suggests a poorly designed add-in as the most likely cause of trouble. (Note that Safe mode is for troubleshooting only.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-30T16:17:25+00:00

    I've given up, Kathryn. It took me hours to edit 23 easy pages yesterday and I can't handle those delays. I'm going to restore my laptop to factory settings and hope for the best! 

    But, I'll stay tuned to this thread in case the problem comes back. :-/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-30T13:22:05+00:00

    Lisa, same problem with my Undo. I'm curious. Is your Word acting jerky, as in, you type a sentence and the letters sporadically dance across the screen? Is your program freezing up and going 'white', but not recovering your files? I've encountered random glitches over the years, but this has become a 'dozen times a day' issue for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-09-30T13:18:18+00:00

    No dumb questions, remember. When I open a document and work, the UNDO stays grayed out, as in, at no time does it work. It will turn blue for a scant second before graying out again. When it is blue, if I click it, it doesn't work.

    I use Office 365 on the annual subscription. I uninstalled and reinstalled yesterday, but will do so today, using the Fix It option. Fingers crossed it works, because I'm really getting tired of losing hours of work when Word freezes without recovering.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments