Undo won't work MS Word 365 on Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-09-25T18:25:33+00:00

In the toolbar at the top of Word, the UNDO option no longer works. Save, Redo, and Speak still function properly. Since Windows 10 upgrade, any program I open uses so much memory and CPU, typing and deleting are jerky and slow, so I use undo a lot. What the heck???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-01-04T22:45:27+00:00

    By default, Ctrl+Z is assigned to the EditUndo command even in Word 2016. Are you saying that the shortcut just fails or that the command isn't assigned on your system?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-04T21:28:33+00:00

    Ctrl z = Undo worked fine with Win 7 and Word 2013. Fails with Office 2016. Did Repair, no help. Finally set up ALT z = undo, that works, with one hand. Awaiting better solution.

    Then we have to fix search to use more than the alphabet, crippling for working with tables.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-10-10T19:40:35+00:00

    Of course anyone may be responsible for a poor add-in, even Microsoft. 

    What does seem clear is that the problem isn't caused by Office 2016, since you noticed it before you installed Office 2016. 

    There have been many problems with Office after upgrading to Windows 10. Have you looked at the article that lists suggested fixes? See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Known-issues-with-Office-and-Windows-10-28d56d84-c16c-4763-8eac-e51e05a37a16?omkt=en-US&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-10T17:17:56+00:00

    Oh, Kathryn. My problems are epic. The restore DID work for the undo button. But Windows 10 has caused some crazy fault on the laptop itself. So I've literally just dropped it off at Best Buy for the second round of warranty service to try to get Windows to run in any format. I hope you have better luck!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-10T14:49:01+00:00

    Lisa, did the restore work? I'm still having issues. I loaded on an older laptop with Windows *, but it was slow to begin with. Thoughts of using Google Drive give me hives, but I may have to resort to that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments