Undo won't work MS Word 365 on Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-09-25T18:25:33+00:00

In the toolbar at the top of Word, the UNDO option no longer works. Save, Redo, and Speak still function properly. Since Windows 10 upgrade, any program I open uses so much memory and CPU, typing and deleting are jerky and slow, so I use undo a lot. What the heck???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T02:06:18+00:00

    There is no error message, the response is simply no response, no anything at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-01-05T01:20:52+00:00

    What happens when you try? Is there an error message?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T00:48:26+00:00

    That does not work for me, I do not know why.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-01-05T00:24:30+00:00

    If you don't see Ctrl+Z listed under "Current keys" after you have selected EditUndo in the Customize Keyboard dialog box, you can reassign the command.

    To reassign the command, leave EditUndo selected as the screen shot shows. Click in the "Press new shortcut key" box, hold Ctrl as you press Z, click the Assign button and then click Close.

    If/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose to do so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T00:11:28+00:00

    Stefan-

    CTRL z fails. WIN 7, up to date, Office 365.

    I did a full Online Office 2016 Repair. No improvement. Takes time.

    I looked into Keyboard assignments. Undo is listed but crtl z  does not show. Alt Bksp is listed and does work. That requires two hands. Ctrl z takes one hand.

    I click on that "Tell me what ..." I enter undo, the drop down has an undo and that one works. That is too many strokes considering my typing.

    I use my computers, and not for games. Today I worked on a 300+ Mailman address list for an alumni group. This involved Word and Excel. I also did some editing on a 350 page genealogy book I have been working on for some time. The crippled search function got in the way. And I researched and prepared for a consulting meeting for tomorrow. I used Libre Office Draw for a sketch for that. Draw is not available in 2016 Word.

    In each case I needed to use undo and had to use backspace, or worse lose text. I do not like that. In a few instances I have given up and closed a file with out changes and reopened to recover from a problem which would have been easily solved with undo.

    I have been using Word undo for as long as word has been available and rely on it.

    I would really like to have the functionality of Office 2013 which had undo, draw, and allowed proper searches instead of the "limited to alphabetical" characters only, another pain.

    Why does MS delete useful functions and charge us for it?

    Regards, cullen langford P.E.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments