Track Changes in Word 2016 - deletions not showing

Anonymous
2016-04-25T11:17:05+00:00

Hi all,

I am using Word 2016 and am having problems with track changes. I have it set to show All Markup and under the show markup I have insertions and deletions ticked; however, when I delete something in the Word document, it is not showing as strike though and as such I cannot see that it has been deleted. If I accept the changes, the deleted item will disappear, so it is taking them on board.

Any suggestions? - I am soon going to reinstall an earlier version if I can't solve this as it is completely unworkable.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2016-04-25T13:13:50+00:00

In the Advanced Track Changes Options dialog box, make sure that "Deletions" is set to "Strikethrough" (and not to "Hidden" or "(none)").

To display the dialog box, click the dialog launcher in the Tracking group on the Review tab; in the Track Changes Options dialog box, click Advanced Options.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-05-18T16:21:27+00:00

Try setting the Reviewing Pane to Off:

Hope this helps,

HJ

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-05-18T17:03:26+00:00

Try the following (as illustrated in the figure below) -- on the "Review" tab of the ribbon, in the "Tracking" section, choose "All Markup" from the dropdown list, then open the "Options" dialog and choose to show "Revisions" in the box labelled "Balloons in All Markup view show".  You might also need or want to set the "Reviewing Pane" to "Off" in the box immediately below it.

I hope this helps.

HJ

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2017-09-20T09:07:29+00:00

In the Advanced Track Changes Options dialog box, choose how you want deletions to be shown (as strikethrough, for example). See screen shot below. Make any other changes that you want. When you are done, click OK to confirm the settings.

Then click Review | Show Markup | Ballons | Show Only Comments and Formatting in Balloons.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-30T17:23:06+00:00

    unfortunately this fix does not work for me. I already had strikethrough enabled in advanced options. I also have Full Markup enabled. I am revising a previous edition of a massive book and the copyeditor must be able to see what I have deleted. Oddly the insertions are all marked in red. This has happened with every document I have  attempted to revise in Word 2016. Help urgently requested and very gratefully received!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments