Excel scrolls the wrong window on hover

Anonymous
2016-02-19T13:07:31+00:00

If two (or more) instances of Excel are open, and one of them has the focus, when hovering the second one, scrolling is still applied to the first one. We need to steal focus from the first window of Excel and then scroll the second.

This seems like a bug and can be reproduced easily (more easily with two monitors).

Lets say you have two windows of Excel open : A and B.

You're working on A but you need to read B. hover your mouse over Excel B, scroll... the scrolling occurs in A ! You must click on B, scroll, then return on A.

Now, with focus on A, open another application (let's say Word), and, of course, set the focus to the newly open app. Be sure to see Excel A and B. Hover your mouse over B, scroll... Scrolling still happens on A.

This does not happen with Word or Outlook. If you open 2 windows of Word, the scroll occurs in the one that is hovered, as expected.

I don't think there's a solution, this is a bug and should be adressed by Microsoft.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-09T19:55:37+00:00

    Main thread seems to be here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/after-last-update-scroll-inactive-windows-doesnt/c10c0910-cdfd-4713-bf5e-32e10fbd88ef

    Nope. Read carefully. This is not the same issue.

    The thread you link to is about a problem with the feature itself, in Windows, broken after some update. I have not installed that update and hover-scrolling works fine with one window of Excel open.

    This one thread is about a bug in Excel where you can't hover-scroll a window when another one is active. Excel overrides the default behavior of Windows.

    Good point - I read it too quickly.

    However, I would be shocked if this is not the underlying problem of the issue I linked to.

    It makes perfect sense that this bug in Excel is causing the scrolling problem in Windows, which only happens while Excel is the active window, or trying to scroll Excel while it is not the active window.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-09T17:57:43+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-04T10:02:51+00:00

    I can confirm wizmouse works well and has had no negative affect on the rest of my PC

    Yes, WizMouse hás a negative affect

    We (my wife and me) work together on the same PC and same monitor, two Word-windows next to each other.

    On the left pane she's typing in a new Word-2010-docx window and I'm reading, translating and dictating text from a pdf- or Word-text in the right pane for her to type in the left one.

    When I (with WizMouse) move the mouse to the right pane to scroll that window while she's typing in the left one, the typed tekst appears in the right window, because WizMouze makes that window the active one.

    This doesn't happen without WizMouse.

    That's the reason I removed WizMouse

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-04T01:17:55+00:00

    Wizmouse is nearly the perfect 'solution' (of course the native program working properly is the ideal solution). It works in almost every scenario except one.

    I have noticed that even when using wizmouse that when I have two or more Excel sheets open, it will still only scroll the one that is clicked or that was most recently clicked if I'm currently using another program while hovering over any of the Excel windows. It scrolls everything else as usual when I hover over any other program, but Excel still locks to only the most recently used window no matter which Excel window I'm hovering over.

    It only happens in Excel, not other Office applications. Since I use multiple spreadsheets on multiple monitors for work it is quite frustrating to have to click back and forth or to lose my place in one sheet because it scrolls that one when I meant to scroll the one that I'm hovering over.

    Wizmouse is great but Microsoft needs to fix this ASAP to return true functionality to its products.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments