Unable to save files in Word 2016 for Mac on OS X El Cap

Anonymous
2016-02-18T19:08:46+00:00

Hi folks,

I'm running into a situation affecting some but not all Macs at our office. We recently updated to Office 2016 (via Offiec365), and are running into problems with Word in particular. 

What's happening is that after opening or creating a new document and making changes, typing ⌘-S to save does not do anything, and the Save and Save As options are grayed out in the menu. Closing the window or quitting Word will trigger the "Do you want to save..." dialog, which then appears to allow you to save the document, but the document that is actually saved is completely blank. 

Has anyone encountered this also? It's affecting a couple of iMacs and a MacBook Pro, but some iMacs and laptops are not experiencing the same problem.

Thanks,

Tom

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-13T23:50:13+00:00

I had this issue persistently last year but it seems fixed now with latest releases all round. I suggest running Microsoft Autoupdate, and doing manually every few days too. Also join the optional Office Insider program to get latest fixes.

My system:

Word for Mac 15.32 (170201)

MacBoook Pro (2016), 10.12.3

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-09T15:04:33+00:00

    Same issues mac book pro 2012- the issues has come and gone for the last 3 years.

    current system set up- no updates available

    Word 2017 15.31

    Sierra 10.12.3

    error that occurs with Save As:

    This is not a valid file name.

    Try one or more of the following:

    * Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly.

    * Select a file from the list of files and folders.

    NO special characters.... I have tried different folders, 2 different USB's

    This error does not occur when I open an existing file or download and save a new file off the internet.

    Have we found a solution yet

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-09T15:05:00+00:00

    Same issues mac book pro 2012- the issues has come and gone for the last 3 years.

    current system set up- no updates available

    Word 2017 15.31

    Sierra 10.12.3

    error that occurs with Save As:

    This is not a valid file name.

    Try one or more of the following:

    * Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly.

    * Select a file from the list of files and folders.

    NO special characters.... I have tried different folders, 2 different USB's

    This error does not occur when I open an existing file or download and save a new file off the internet.

    Have we found a solution yet

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2017-03-09T15:21:39+00:00

    As has already been suggested, try updating to version 15.32, which is available in AutoUpdate now for Insider Slow updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-04-03T16:31:08+00:00

    I am having the exact same problem -- the "save as" function simply doesn't work on my Word documents. I just purchased a new MacBook Pro and downloaded a new version of Microsoft Office. I contacted the technical support line for Office and they walked me through a new download, but that didn't solve the problem. The second person I spoke to tried to help but the only solution he could find was to copy the document, change the name, and open the new document. Obviously that is cumbersome and not a real solution if you want to be able to save multiple updates of a document under different names. If anyone does find a real solution, please let us know. Meanwhile, I hope Microsoft is working on a fix since this is clearly a common problem with the product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments