The newly updated Word 2013 hangs

Anonymous
2016-02-10T16:31:25+00:00

After the new update of MS Office 2013 Pro today the 02/10/2016, hanging Word itself. At first I thought it was the document there was something wrong with, but the same the phenomenon also occurs with new upright and old documents and joins after a few seconds.

I can not remember that I have experienced it earlier

Are there any others with the same experience?

/Stein

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-02-12T15:36:44+00:00

Hello,

We are continuing to investigate why Update KB3114717 cause Word to slow down or hang. As a workaround, you can safely remove that update and we will post more information here as we learn more.

Thanks,

-Mike

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-02-11T12:59:20+00:00

Got the same issue, the culprit was KB3114717 (February 9, 2016, update for Office 2013). After removal of KB3114717 , the freezes disappeared. The update can easily be removed via WSUS (set approval to "removal").

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-12T18:12:33+00:00

    Removed the offending update yesterday, received calls that the offending update was re-installed overnight.

    Began removing update again, going through the additional step of running check for Windows updates and then immediately hiding the update KB3114717.  That single update is over 200 MB.

    Also, not sure if anyone else is observing this behavior but searching on KB3114717 in order to uninstall displays 3 updates. Have never seen that before.  I uninstalled using the first one in the list, and after successful uninstall, I clicked on the next one to uninstall it.  But it said it was already uninstalled, so I clicked Ok and it disappeared.  I then clicked to uninstall the 3rd and only remaining instance, and it to said it was already uninstalled, and disappeared after clicking OK.

    I don't understand why MS hasn't fixed the update, but more importantly, why is it still pushing the bad KB3114717?, allowing it to reinstall and crash Word 2013 on the same computers for the second time?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-12T18:13:35+00:00

    PULL THE UPDATE YOU ARE RE-INSTALLING ON COMPUTERS I JUST GOT BACK TO WORKING!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-12T18:15:35+00:00

    NOT SLOWING DOWN, IT MAKES WORD 2013 UNUSABLE--at times COMPLETELY UNRESPONSIVE< AKA appears locked up!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments