The newly updated Word 2013 hangs

Anonymous
2016-02-10T16:31:25+00:00

After the new update of MS Office 2013 Pro today the 02/10/2016, hanging Word itself. At first I thought it was the document there was something wrong with, but the same the phenomenon also occurs with new upright and old documents and joins after a few seconds.

I can not remember that I have experienced it earlier

Are there any others with the same experience?

/Stein

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-02-12T15:36:44+00:00

Hello,

We are continuing to investigate why Update KB3114717 cause Word to slow down or hang. As a workaround, you can safely remove that update and we will post more information here as we learn more.

Thanks,

-Mike

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-02-11T12:59:20+00:00

Got the same issue, the culprit was KB3114717 (February 9, 2016, update for Office 2013). After removal of KB3114717 , the freezes disappeared. The update can easily be removed via WSUS (set approval to "removal").

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-12T16:20:46+00:00

    Thanks Fredy!

    Since I only have a private Win 10 Pro OS, and which automatically restarts the download of KB3114717, I set it to [Notify to schedule restart].

    I had hoped for aregistry key, which could tell Windows to not download and install the specific package until satisfactory Microsoft centrale get removed or updated the component.

    Best Regards,

    Stein

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-12T15:35:04+00:00

    As I wrote in my posting, your are not able to stop the process (unless you are using the enterprise version).

    As I further wrote in my posting, I first thought, that a security update has caused the problem (and uninstalled all the security updates first).  The security updates then were reinstalled automatically again.

    But it seems as "normal" updates (like the problem-update KB3114717) aren't reinstalled, if removed manually (at least not by every reboot - I hope never, but don't know  for sure) .

    Update:

    The KB3114717 was installed again ("in the background") without reboot!

    => So yes @MS:

    - How to prevent the reinstall?!! - When do you apply a bugfix, so that your customers worldwide are able to work again with Office?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-12T15:19:17+00:00

    Got the same issue, the culprit was KB3114717 (February 9, 2016, update for Office 2013). After removal of KB3114717 , the freezes disappeared. The update can easily be removed via WSUS (set approval to "removal").

    Had the same problem and uninstalling KB3114717 seems to have worked.  I tried Microsoft support and didn't get anywhere.  (Just kept getting referred to different groups.)  Will know for sure after some heavy work later today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments