MS Word 2016 (Windows) cursor position and line display problems

Anonymous
2015-09-30T19:50:22+00:00

Hi!

Q.I wonder if anyone else had these two (+) problems with the Windows Office 365 MS Office 2016 update -specifically in MS Word?

[And] if so, are there any fixes?

Situation:

I updated my subscription of Office 365 Windows two days after it came out. I have experienced two display problems in MS Word that have repeated in different documents -newly created and when editing older documents:

Problems:

(1) In MS Word, the cursor frequently seems to display one character position *ahead* of the actual input position.  

Details -I have noticed it in typing for about a hour or so. The actual position is unchanged, but the display position is ahead by one character. This is noticeable in editing already-typed text.  The display is zoomed from between 110%-120% when this occurs.  It feels more "graphic" like older versions of word processors when they first started displaying WSWYG style. I use left justification, but the feel of typing --the way the characters align and realign while typing is similar to what occurs when typing using full justification (isn't set on that, and the alignment is left). 

(2) When typing and editing in a document, some non-focus lines of a paragraph displayed on the screen are often displayed in corrupted characters. When I click on that line it rewrites correctly; but that display issue is new to this version and problematic.

(3) This version crashed once while spell checking a moderate-sized (five page) document. I never had MS Word in Office 365 crash during an operation over the course of the past year. 

Equipment:  

  • I am using Windows 10 a Surface Pro 3 I7 8gb ram 256gb disk
  • it is connected via HDMI and the MS Surface dock to an external display (Dell ST220t HDM) 
  • the OS is Windows 10 with OS version: 10.0.10240 (build 10240)
  • the MS Office version is: Office version: 16.0.4229.1024 32-bit

A combined pix of three screen shots illustrates what I experienced.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance!

Mark

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-04-06T22:58:35+00:00

This issue has been fixed, and now appears in the latest build of Office.

As usual, if you haven’t received the update yet, open an Office app and click File > Account > Update > Update Now.

Thanks very much for your patience.

-Erik

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-02-24T04:28:06+00:00

Did you have Office 365/2013 before getting 365/2016?

Here are some techniques you can try to get the previous version.

Roll Back 2016 to 2013 manually by USER! DownGrade - Down Grade - Back out


How do I use the Office 365/2016 offline installer? Downgrade to Office 2013

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/wiki/office_365hp-office_install/retrograde-upgrade-office-3652016-to-2013-download/fbdf55d9-9b62-4ac0-95af-56a9f848c2b2


https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-do-I-use-the-Office-2016-offline-installer-f0a85fe7-118f-41cb-a791-d59cef96ad1c


https://support.office.com/en-US/article/How-do-I-reinstall-Office-2013-after-an-Office-2016-upgrade-a6ca92f4-cbb4-4609-9fdb-f8d3dd6812f3 How do I reinstall Office 2013 after an Office 2016 upgrade?


http://new.office-watch.com/2015/switch-from-office-2013-to-office-2016-the-real-story/ Switch from Office 2013 to Office 2016 – the real story (Office Watch)


If you need to install Office 2016 without an active Internet connection, or if you're having problems with slow speed or tenuous connections, you can download the offline installer file and then install Office 2016 at your convenience. Go to the Wiki link above for instructions with pictures

Start on the On the My Account page, choose Install.

Choose Language and install options.

Choose Additional install options.

Choose Download offline installer.

After you see a prompt to open or save the offline installer file, choose your preferred option.

If you choose Open, the file will download. Once the download is complete, you'll see a new virtual drive D that contains the Office installation files.

Note   If you already have another drive labeled D, Office will create a virtual drive with the next available letter.

If you choose Save, you can specify where you'd like the image (.IMG) file to be saved. For example, you can save it to your desktop or to a USB drive. On Windows 10 and Windows 8 machines, you can open the file directly. If you use Windows 7, you'll need to copy the image file to a disc before you can open the file and continue to step 6.

Launch setup.exe to begin the offline installation. When you see the message, You're all set, you can now access your Office applications.

The first time you run one of your Office applications, you'll receive a prompt asking you to enter your product key to activate the product. Since you already have a Microsoft account that's associated with Office, choose Sign in with an active account instead.

Enter your email address, and then choose Next.

Note   Make sure the email address and Microsoft account you use is the same one you used previously.

Enter the email address and password associated with your Microsoft account, and then choose Sign in to start using Office.

For more information about installing Office, see Download and install Office 365 Home, Personal, or University on your PC.


Looking for help with a one-time purchase of Office 2013 or Office 2016? Associated with email Account - Offline Installer

Download the install files for a one-time purchase of Office 2013 or Office 2016


Download the install files for a one-time purchase of Office 2013 or Office 2016

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Download-the-install-files-for-a-one-time-purchase-of-Office-2013-or-Office-2016-0fdd3f0e-9b3f-4689-9f43-03e1143bb20e

Looking for Office 365 help?: How do I use the Office 2016 offline installer for Office 365?

If you made a one-time purchase of Office 2013 or Office 2016 (not a subscription to Office 365), you can download the install files directly to your computer.

Important   Downloading the install files can take quite a while. Please be sure your computer stays powered on and connected to the Internet while downloading.

Sign in to your My Account page.

Choose Install from a disc.

Choose I want to burn a disc, and then choose Download.

Save the installation file to your computer and then run it to install Office.

Applies To: Office 2013, Office 2016


Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-24T01:42:03+00:00

    Hi Rohn007

    OK, after months of this, I still have the occasional cursor skip -but not as often. I do have page re-write problems frequently. Just like the image I included early, when I switch windows or sometimes scroll down to the next page in word, I will see the entire text displayed as gibberish. 

    I resize the screen -to any resolution and it works again. However, this is not the way a world class office processing software -operating on MS own machine (SP3 I7) should be operating!

    I have tried the"smart cursor" fix, the "Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration" fix and the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings checkbox" fix. All did not fix this situation.

    ;-(

    I actually tried to roll back to the earlier version of OFFICE 365, but could not make that happen.  Even called MS Support both on the roll-back and on the text rendering issue -no help at all I am afraid.  ;-(

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-24T02:06:14+00:00

    I have no information on the original issue described last year, unfortunately. I was unable to reproduce it myself, possibly because the poster is/was a so-called Insider, meaning that he is using preview software.

    Well I am an IS, not a WAS.  [And] Unfortunately, the reply by Stefan Blom, so-called  "MVP" & "Community Moderator"  & owner of one star (!\[\](http://i.answers.microsoft.com/static/images/contentcreator.png?ver=6.7.0.20))and two rockets (![](http://i3.answers.microsoft.com/static/images/launchexpertoffice2016.png?ver=6.7.0.20) !\[\](http://i.answers.microsoft.com/static/images/launchexpertwindows10.png?ver=6.7.0.20))  is completely false.

    -- At least the specious allegation that I was using a preview software version.

    -- Perhaps the part about his having no information about this issue is true.

    --> My software was retail software purchased when I upgraded my Surface Pro 3 I5 to a Surface Pro I7 in a MS Store. I did not get any preview version -and the updates I received, were normal updates that every single paid MS Office 365 owner could and should get at the same time (by region).

    --> Stefan's reply simply is not the type of comment that advances a solution, or that suggests any concern beyond the requirement to meet a posting quota. Too bad. 

    --> I (we all) really want this situation to be fixed, and --please Stefan--- just providing glib, dismissive (&misinformed) answers does not help any of us get there.

    Please imaging trying to type about four or five papers of five-to-10 pages in length each week, plus a longer one (10-30) on weekends with the cursor position being unreliable and when that is not distracting one, suddently the pages unexpectedly turn into gibberish until I manually re scale the page up or down. 

    --> This condition is so annoying that I worked with MS Tech help to try to roll back to the earlier version of Office 365 (I couldn't).  

    -- Actually, It has been so annoying that I downloaded and tried Corel's Word Perfect as a substitute.  I was surprised to see that the actual WP program is quite great, and amazingly flexible --especially about cursor placement (!)  and for control over entries at any place on the page.  HOWEVER, WP does not have Thompson Reuters' EndNote Macro --to create inline citations and corresponding reference data instantly and on the fly into the documents.   I use that almost as much as I use the word "the" (well, a lot anyway....). For me it is essential to my writing in the Ph.D. program I am taking (suffering through!). So I am forced to use the hopping-cursor videogame program called MS Word 2016.  ;-(

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-24T02:14:28+00:00

    OK, I still have this condition -perhaps less of the cursor but every now and then still there, and still the same amount or frequency of page re-write garble. ..

    For Active add ins

    Acrobat PDF Maker Ofice Com

    Date (XML)

    EndNote (Citataion REcognizer)

    EndNote Cite while you write

    EndNote CWWYW

    Instant Messaging Contacts  (what the heck?)

    Measurement Converter

    NatSpeak Word Addin

    Telephone Number (XML)    (??)

    For in active interactive add ins I have

    MS Action Pane

    MS Actions Pane3

    EndNote

    OneNote Notes  Add-in

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments