MS Word 2016 (Windows) cursor position and line display problems

Anonymous
2015-09-30T19:50:22+00:00

Hi!

Q.I wonder if anyone else had these two (+) problems with the Windows Office 365 MS Office 2016 update -specifically in MS Word?

[And] if so, are there any fixes?

Situation:

I updated my subscription of Office 365 Windows two days after it came out. I have experienced two display problems in MS Word that have repeated in different documents -newly created and when editing older documents:

Problems:

(1) In MS Word, the cursor frequently seems to display one character position *ahead* of the actual input position.  

Details -I have noticed it in typing for about a hour or so. The actual position is unchanged, but the display position is ahead by one character. This is noticeable in editing already-typed text.  The display is zoomed from between 110%-120% when this occurs.  It feels more "graphic" like older versions of word processors when they first started displaying WSWYG style. I use left justification, but the feel of typing --the way the characters align and realign while typing is similar to what occurs when typing using full justification (isn't set on that, and the alignment is left). 

(2) When typing and editing in a document, some non-focus lines of a paragraph displayed on the screen are often displayed in corrupted characters. When I click on that line it rewrites correctly; but that display issue is new to this version and problematic.

(3) This version crashed once while spell checking a moderate-sized (five page) document. I never had MS Word in Office 365 crash during an operation over the course of the past year. 

Equipment:  

  • I am using Windows 10 a Surface Pro 3 I7 8gb ram 256gb disk
  • it is connected via HDMI and the MS Surface dock to an external display (Dell ST220t HDM) 
  • the OS is Windows 10 with OS version: 10.0.10240 (build 10240)
  • the MS Office version is: Office version: 16.0.4229.1024 32-bit

A combined pix of three screen shots illustrates what I experienced.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance!

Mark

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-04-06T22:58:35+00:00

This issue has been fixed, and now appears in the latest build of Office.

As usual, if you haven’t received the update yet, open an Office app and click File > Account > Update > Update Now.

Thanks very much for your patience.

-Erik

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-02-24T04:28:06+00:00

Did you have Office 365/2013 before getting 365/2016?

Here are some techniques you can try to get the previous version.

Roll Back 2016 to 2013 manually by USER! DownGrade - Down Grade - Back out


How do I use the Office 365/2016 offline installer? Downgrade to Office 2013

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/wiki/office_365hp-office_install/retrograde-upgrade-office-3652016-to-2013-download/fbdf55d9-9b62-4ac0-95af-56a9f848c2b2


https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-do-I-use-the-Office-2016-offline-installer-f0a85fe7-118f-41cb-a791-d59cef96ad1c


https://support.office.com/en-US/article/How-do-I-reinstall-Office-2013-after-an-Office-2016-upgrade-a6ca92f4-cbb4-4609-9fdb-f8d3dd6812f3 How do I reinstall Office 2013 after an Office 2016 upgrade?


http://new.office-watch.com/2015/switch-from-office-2013-to-office-2016-the-real-story/ Switch from Office 2013 to Office 2016 – the real story (Office Watch)


If you need to install Office 2016 without an active Internet connection, or if you're having problems with slow speed or tenuous connections, you can download the offline installer file and then install Office 2016 at your convenience. Go to the Wiki link above for instructions with pictures

Start on the On the My Account page, choose Install.

Choose Language and install options.

Choose Additional install options.

Choose Download offline installer.

After you see a prompt to open or save the offline installer file, choose your preferred option.

If you choose Open, the file will download. Once the download is complete, you'll see a new virtual drive D that contains the Office installation files.

Note   If you already have another drive labeled D, Office will create a virtual drive with the next available letter.

If you choose Save, you can specify where you'd like the image (.IMG) file to be saved. For example, you can save it to your desktop or to a USB drive. On Windows 10 and Windows 8 machines, you can open the file directly. If you use Windows 7, you'll need to copy the image file to a disc before you can open the file and continue to step 6.

Launch setup.exe to begin the offline installation. When you see the message, You're all set, you can now access your Office applications.

The first time you run one of your Office applications, you'll receive a prompt asking you to enter your product key to activate the product. Since you already have a Microsoft account that's associated with Office, choose Sign in with an active account instead.

Enter your email address, and then choose Next.

Note   Make sure the email address and Microsoft account you use is the same one you used previously.

Enter the email address and password associated with your Microsoft account, and then choose Sign in to start using Office.

For more information about installing Office, see Download and install Office 365 Home, Personal, or University on your PC.


Looking for help with a one-time purchase of Office 2013 or Office 2016? Associated with email Account - Offline Installer

Download the install files for a one-time purchase of Office 2013 or Office 2016


Download the install files for a one-time purchase of Office 2013 or Office 2016

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Download-the-install-files-for-a-one-time-purchase-of-Office-2013-or-Office-2016-0fdd3f0e-9b3f-4689-9f43-03e1143bb20e

Looking for Office 365 help?: How do I use the Office 2016 offline installer for Office 365?

If you made a one-time purchase of Office 2013 or Office 2016 (not a subscription to Office 365), you can download the install files directly to your computer.

Important   Downloading the install files can take quite a while. Please be sure your computer stays powered on and connected to the Internet while downloading.

Sign in to your My Account page.

Choose Install from a disc.

Choose I want to burn a disc, and then choose Download.

Save the installation file to your computer and then run it to install Office.

Applies To: Office 2013, Office 2016


Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-09T23:22:04+00:00

    This worked for me. However, I am using Office Professional Plus 2013. 

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T17:33:00+00:00

    As both of my mobile PCs do come from the same Brand (Acer Aspire M3 and Acer Aspire R7 and have the Same  .. lastest update ... IBM and Nvidia Graphics Hardware Drivers I assume some parts of the probem still are to be located somewhere there or may i be wrong?

    Help please or I will leave this ship!

    That certainly sounds possible.  To exclude the possibility of driver problems, try these trouble shooting steps:

    Trouble Shoot Word


    A General Starting point when Word does something unexpected

    <snip>

    As a general rule, when something seems to be going wrong, or at least not the way you want it to go, in Word “menu’ go to Tools and then Options, in Word “ribbon” go to File then Options, and study all of the various options, both turned on and off.


    You may even get lucky and find some other settings that you want to try that have nothing to do with the current problem.

    When I was teaching Word and other Microsoft Office programs at a private business college, I had three rules:

    1. Always check Tools Options
    2. When in doubt, right-click on something
    3. If you’re wondering how to set up a special kind of material in a document, consider whether Word tables are suitable. The placement officer of the school came to me several times and asked how I thought she should set something up. Each time the answer was, “I’d use a Word table.” By the fifth time she had stopped asking--she got the point.

    </snip>


    Trouble Shooting Procedures for Word problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010, 2007, 2003, or 2002

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx


    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541  2003-2010


    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820919-2002-2003


    NOTE: part of this procedure is disabling addins. If you want to take a shortcut, check to see if you have a BlueTooth device driver or addin, ie “send to Bluetooth”, installed. Disabling BlueTooth is rapidly moving to the top of my Office trouble shooting process. Blue Tooth drivers have been identified as the cause of problems with many different “random” symptoms. If you have BlueTooth, disable it in control panel, device manager and possibly as an addin in Office apps.  It’s not that I think there is anything inherently bad with Blue Tooth. The problem is with the people writing the drivers.


    A beginner’s guide to trouble shooting problems in Word

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322743

    Q322743 Last Review: April 24, 2007 - Revision: 6.3

    This article presents a systematic approach to help you resolve various error messages and problems in Microsoft Word. You can use one of the following methods to resolve various error messages and problems in Word:

    Manually

    Use the the Trouble shoot Utility in the Support Template

    If you want to perform the steps using the Trouble shoot Utility, start with step 1. If you want to perform the steps manually, start with step 2.

    Perform the steps, in order, until your problem is resolved.


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T11:02:54+00:00

    I've noted the same effect some time ago with the "Mindjet Mindmanager 14.03." already. !

    The fault slowly sneaks into your work und after some minutes or sometimes luckily hours it becomes almost impossible to work efficiently especially when documenting in workshops. The error really makes you look incompetent in front of your audience :-(((((.

    The only way around I've found up to now is: "Save my work and "Cold reboot" the PC". :-((((((((

    This still helps best and gains some time again.

    A "Quick shutdown or reboot does not change anything at all."

    At first I thought it was an Error Situation that only had to do with the Mindmanager Software and my Hardware, an Acer Aspire M3 with Nvidia and IBM Graphics Adapter, on Win 8.1 pro.

    But as I upgraded to Win10 Enterprise  and some days later to Office 2016 the same Problem came up on all my machines in Word 2016 and Outlook as well.

    As both of my mobile PCs do come from the same Brand (Acer Aspire M3 and Acer Aspire R7 and have the Same  .. lastest update ... IBM and Nvidia Graphics Hardware Drivers I assume some parts of the probem still are to be located somewhere there or may i be wrong?

    Help please or I will leave this ship!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments