A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Switch from Page Layout to Normal view (on the View menu). Solved the problem for me - from excruciatingly slow to normal zippy performance.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi Guys,
I have recently noticed that my Excel for Mac has become incredibly slow. I am using an almost new iMac and have a business enterprise solution account with the programme installed on 4 office computers, however this problem is only affecting my computer.
The spreadsheet I am using has less than 100 rows and takes 5-10 seconds to load whenever I click on another cell let alone try to edit a value or place a new value in.
This is heavily affecting my productivity at work. I have tried to fix this by removing bad fonts and giving the iMac a general cleanse but it's not had any affect on Excel performance.
Computer specs are:
Please help!
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Switch from Page Layout to Normal view (on the View menu). Solved the problem for me - from excruciatingly slow to normal zippy performance.
Hey I think I just fixed this for myself. Looking at another forum post regarding Microsoft Word 15.29.1 acting very slow too, it says to go to: - System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy Tab > Accessibility (on left menu), and disable any 3rd party apps that have certain controls over your computer.
On my laptop, I installed a window manager called "Divvy" years ago (it updates regularly), that allows me to resize app windows using keyboard shortcuts. Once I disabled this app from "controlling my windows", MS Office 15.29.1 *(specifically Excel) works beautifully.
Try it and let us know!
Daniel
I found this on-line and it helped me:
Go to settings, click on Accessibility, go to Display, click on Reduce Motion and Reduce Transparency.
This helped my Excel experience on the Mac.
Tom
I had this problem today and figured out that my problem occurred because I had pasted in a couple of characters that the program was having trouble reading. My spreadsheet contains a TON of text froma variety of sources in multiple languages and one of the sources came with a character that resulted in a "square" shape in Excel. This killed everything (on my Activity Monitor, excel was taking up 100% of my CPU).
I deleted the squares and it solved everything.
Thanks for advise. In my case it was Dropbox.
Latest Office update has totally solved the issue for me!
I am glad this helped you.
I unchecked the Error Checking feature from day one, but did nothing for me.
I have this spreadsheet I use everyday, is the core of my work. It's a log.
Today it is comprised by 350 rows and 60 columns. 80% contain arithmetic formulas, nothing fancy, sums, rest and divisions, nothing more. 20% is manually input data. No VBA, no images, no graphs, no complicated math.
I add 2 new lines every day... same formulas, new data.
I used to have this logs as a single file for a year ... after changing to this version of Excel I had to cut in 2 semesters because it just doesn't work.
New lines are always inserted between existing ones. The "insert" takes at this moment 5 to 7 seconds. It will become 10 to crashing near the end of the semester... this is my 3rd semester, believe me.
I still think this is unacceptable and hard to believe....
BTW, my Mac is a 2.7 GHz Quad Core i7, 8 Gb, SSD,....how is that this machine leads with my photography, composed by raw files above 20 Mb each, opening 3 per second like nothing, while working with 2 monitors simultaneously... but cannot manage a stupid 900K Excel.
I am sure is not the Mac...