Creating a form field to be filled out by a user and populate through out the document

Anonymous
2015-03-01T18:08:02+00:00

I know this is simple but I cannot figure it out.

Working in

|Office 2013

 |Microsoft Office Word

 |Office for Windows 8.1

Please don't reference Greg Massey, I can't understand anything there and his tutorials seem completely out of whack with Word 2013.

I am building a contract where field are repeated several times, (FirstName, LastName, Address, etc.)

I want to create a field in the contract that populated throughout the document with these variable from the first field I population:

I want to enter the information each time from a template directly on the template. When a user would get to the template the first page might have something like this. There they would fill in the variables in italics

This contract is for FirstName LastName at ThisAddress, ThisCity, ThisZipCode

Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here. 

Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here. 

Then one of the variable above is needed again.  If it was entered above, it would automatically populate the fields filled in above.

FirstName LastName promises to pay $1 for services.

All Service are performed in ZipCode

I know you can do this with bookmarks, but when I did that, and then wanted to CHANGE the variable to make a contract with another person, I had to recreate the bookmark and all referenced fields on the whole thing from an original bookmark again.  I want to make this once, and the use just enters the basic information one time and it autopopulates the rest of the doc.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2015-03-02T05:53:50+00:00

It is NOT to the default text that you create the cross reference, but to the bookmark that is assigned to the FormField.  

It is a good idea to assign a meaningful bookmark name to the formfield and in the example below, I have used TenantName as the bookmark as well as setting that as the default text.   Note that I have also checked the Calculate on Exit box

Then, after setting cross references to the Text of the Bookmark and Protecting the document for Filling in Forms, when I enter "Bill Smith" into the FormField

and then press the tab key, this will be the result

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
John Korchok 236.2K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2015-03-02T14:44:28+00:00

Hi Davyd,

Legacy Form Fields will not relay the information until you protect the document for Filling in forms.

  1. Developer>Restrict Editing
  2. Editing Restrictions>Check Allow only this type of editing in the document.
  3. Set the dropdown to Filling in forms
  4. Click on Yes, Start Enforcing Protection
  5. Save your document.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. John Korchok 236.2K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-03-01T22:51:47+00:00

    Word does not automatically update references from either Form Fields or Content Controls. When the form prints or when you do a Print Preview, the fields update.

    If you use form fields, you can update the fields by creating a macro and running it automatically when the user leaves the form field. If you use Content Controls, you can place an icon in the Quick Access Toolbar, but the user would have to click on it to run the macro.

    Here's how to create the macro:

    1. On the Developer tab, click on Macros. The Macros dialog opens.
    2. In the Macro Name field, type UpdateRefFields, then click on Create.
    3. In between the Sub and End Sub lines, type ActiveDocument.Fields.Update. Ensure that the line does not start with a single quote mark: that turns it into a comment that will not run. Your final macro should look something like this:

    Sub UpdateRefFields()

      ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

    End Sub

    Now leave the VBA editor and return to your main document window. Follow these steps:

    1. With document protection turned off, right-click on a form field and choose Properties
    2. Under Run macro on, click on the Exit dropdown and select UpdateRefFields. OK Out.
    3. Repeat for all  text form fields that relay data to a Ref field.
    4. Apply protection for Filling in Forms and save your document.

    As you tab through the form fields, the Ref fields will automatically be updated.

    If you choose Content Controls instead of Form Fields, You can use FILE>Options>Quick Access Toolbar, change the left-hand column to display macros and drag your macro to the right-hand column. After applying protection for No changes (Read only), you can click on the QAT icon anytime to update all fields.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-01T21:42:51+00:00

    Doug, thanks.  I went through that before I posted and it doesn't have anything I could use.  The screen shots look like they are from a much older version of word.  I cannot find any of the controls he is talking about.

    The fist thing it says to do "Click View>Toolbars>Forms".

    I cannot find that in the VIEW ribbon.  I am not sure what form field in 2013 works the same as the one he is talking about.

    That's the part I cannot get.  If I could make that simple form field, I already have the REF part working,  Just not when the original form field changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-03-01T21:36:56+00:00

    See the following page of Greg Maxey's website:

    http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word\_tip\_pages/repeating\_data.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments