Creating a form field to be filled out by a user and populate through out the document

Anonymous
2015-03-01T18:08:02+00:00

I know this is simple but I cannot figure it out.

Working in

|Office 2013

 |Microsoft Office Word

 |Office for Windows 8.1

Please don't reference Greg Massey, I can't understand anything there and his tutorials seem completely out of whack with Word 2013.

I am building a contract where field are repeated several times, (FirstName, LastName, Address, etc.)

I want to create a field in the contract that populated throughout the document with these variable from the first field I population:

I want to enter the information each time from a template directly on the template. When a user would get to the template the first page might have something like this. There they would fill in the variables in italics

This contract is for FirstName LastName at ThisAddress, ThisCity, ThisZipCode

Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here. 

Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here.  Static content continues here. 

Then one of the variable above is needed again.  If it was entered above, it would automatically populate the fields filled in above.

FirstName LastName promises to pay $1 for services.

All Service are performed in ZipCode

I know you can do this with bookmarks, but when I did that, and then wanted to CHANGE the variable to make a contract with another person, I had to recreate the bookmark and all referenced fields on the whole thing from an original bookmark again.  I want to make this once, and the use just enters the basic information one time and it autopopulates the rest of the doc.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2015-03-02T05:53:50+00:00

It is NOT to the default text that you create the cross reference, but to the bookmark that is assigned to the FormField.  

It is a good idea to assign a meaningful bookmark name to the formfield and in the example below, I have used TenantName as the bookmark as well as setting that as the default text.   Note that I have also checked the Calculate on Exit box

Then, after setting cross references to the Text of the Bookmark and Protecting the document for Filling in Forms, when I enter "Bill Smith" into the FormField

and then press the tab key, this will be the result

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
John Korchok 236.2K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2015-03-02T14:44:28+00:00

Hi Davyd,

Legacy Form Fields will not relay the information until you protect the document for Filling in forms.

  1. Developer>Restrict Editing
  2. Editing Restrictions>Check Allow only this type of editing in the document.
  3. Set the dropdown to Filling in forms
  4. Click on Yes, Start Enforcing Protection
  5. Save your document.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-05T20:25:37+00:00

    Thanks for the reply.

    That gives me the field properties but not the field OPTIONS which is what I need. They don't have the same inforation in them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-08-05T18:05:53+00:00

    The first thing is to make sure that forms protection is turned off -- you can't open the form field's options dialog while protection is turned on.

    Then you can open the dialog either by double-clicking the field or by clicking the field once and then clicking the Properties button on the Developer tab of the ribbon:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-05T17:27:35+00:00

    Hi, I think here is where I should start (or hopefully end...I've been at this for hours)

    On Word 2013 fillable forms I have evrything figured out except that I can't for the life of me access the Texty Form Field Options , basically the box illustrated above. Older Word vewrsions say double click on the formk field itself but that doesn't work and I can't access it any other way. Basically I am trying to limit the number of charcaters in the form and this is where to do it but HOW TO I ACCESS THIS WINDOW ???????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments