Outlook 2016 Send from Outlook Alias Account?

Anonymous
2015-07-25T00:36:11+00:00

As encouraged by Microsoft, I have created and use an alias attached/linked to my primary outlook.com.  For years, it has been impossible to send e-mail from the alias using the Outlook Win32/64 client.  I have to go to Outlook.com in order to do so.

I have just installed the Office 2016 Preview and am severely disappointed to find that I cannot send from the alias within the new client. 

Am I incorrect?  Is it actually possible to send from ******@outlook.com rather than ******@outlook.com?

Microsoft 365 and Office
Microsoft 365 and Office

A comprehensive suite of productivity tools and cloud services that enhance collaboration, communication, and efficiency. Combining classic Office apps with advanced Microsoft 365 features, it supports both personal and business needs

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-09T16:54:29+00:00

    Hi Roady,

    It's 2017 now and Outlook.com has moved to Exchange Online platform. So how to send a email using alias in Outlook 2016?

    Thanks.

    If your Outlook 2016 is connected to the right Exchange server and fully updated, then you will see your aliases in the "from" (drop down menu) when creating a new email message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-10T05:55:04+00:00

    Hi fax22, thanks for your reply.

    I have 3 mail accounts logged in. One for Outlook. one for Gmail, and one for my own domain mailbox. And there are 3 alias include the one I logged in for Outlook.

    I've checked the Windows Update and it's up to date.

    I've make sure the Outlook account is logged in using Exchange.

    But I can only find the 3 main accounts without the alias.

    Any workaround?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-31T03:52:47+00:00

    It is 1-1/2 years later and there is only a  lousy time-consuming bypass to the problem.

    The real fix would be for Outlook 2016 (Outlook 365 desktop) to synchronize aliases with Outlook.com when a mail box is opened at the start of a session. 

    That doesn't happen.  Instead Outlook 2016 only synchronizes aliases with Outlook.com when a new mailbox is added.

    Outlook 2016 desktop won't detect additions -OR- removals to aliases in Outlook.com.  It will only remember the aliases that existed when the Outlook.com account was originally added to Outlook 2016.

    Here is the bypass, but it is lousy and time-consuming.

    Go to Outlook 2016 desktop:

    1. Select File; Account Settings; Account Settings
    2. Select and Remove the email account concerned
    3. Shutdown Outlook 2016
    4. Restart Windows (i.e. reboot)
    5. Start Outlook 2016 
    6. Add back the email account concerned

    >> When adding the account back Outlook 2016 will detect the current aliases for the Outlook.com email account.

    1. Wait while the email account is  added back
    2. Shutdown Outlook 2016
    3. Restart Windows
    4. Start Outlook 2016
    5. Add back all the view settings and message rules you had before.

    I hope that helps.  Hopefully MS will fix the root cause of this very common problem that many people have complained about.

    • Keith

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-04-14T05:25:53+00:00

    Does it work now ? How can I configure outlook 2016 desktop to use aliases ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-04-15T08:43:37+00:00

    we're almost 2 years later now... is there a solution already? 

    I'm getting frustated in this matter...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments