Outlook 2016 Send from Outlook Alias Account?

Anonymous
2015-07-25T00:36:11+00:00

As encouraged by Microsoft, I have created and use an alias attached/linked to my primary outlook.com.  For years, it has been impossible to send e-mail from the alias using the Outlook Win32/64 client.  I have to go to Outlook.com in order to do so.

I have just installed the Office 2016 Preview and am severely disappointed to find that I cannot send from the alias within the new client. 

Am I incorrect?  Is it actually possible to send from ******@outlook.com rather than ******@outlook.com?

Microsoft 365 and Office
Microsoft 365 and Office

A comprehensive suite of productivity tools and cloud services that enhance collaboration, communication, and efficiency. Combining classic Office apps with advanced Microsoft 365 features, it supports both personal and business needs

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-25T19:48:07+00:00

    Hello,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

    You may refer to the following link which discusses about the similar issue and check if it help.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office\_2010-outlook/sending-e-mail-using-alias-with-primary-account-in/0029aaed-275c-4d4f-b626-e430c286b3e5

    I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Robert Sparnaaij [MVP] 18,406 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-07-25T22:19:50+00:00

    I have just installed the Office 2016 Preview and am severely disappointed to find that I cannot send from the alias within the new client. 

    It's a work in progress in conjunction with the move of Outlook.com to the Exchange Online platform. Once that is completed and your account has been migrated, sending from an alias address will be possible without any additional configuration in Outlook 2010 or later.

    Until then, you can configure the alias as an additional POP3 account and configure it for sending only.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-01T06:38:44+00:00

    I have migrated to the new exchange servers (outlook.office365.com) but still can't see/use alias in Outlook 2016. It works with outlook.com and now even in windows phone but sadly not yet in Outlook 2016. Is this a known issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-02T12:40:03+00:00

    I'm another customer and I was having the same problem Fax22.

    Last week I was finally migrated from Outlook.com to Outlook Mail (that is to say, from the recent to the new version of Hotmail).

    1. In Outlook 2016 I went into File > Info > Account Settings and the account still showed as the old kind.
    2. I deleted my Outlook.com account.  
    3. I closed down Outlook 2016 and signed-off Windows.
    4. I logged back on and re-started Windows.

    In Outlook 2016 I went into File > Info > Account Settings and added back my Outlook.com account.

    1. The account type is now simply 'Microsoft Exchange'. 
    2. After waiting several minutes for the email to be re-synched I logged off Windows again.
    3. I logged back on to Windows.
    4. I restarted Outlook > New Email.
    5. The aliases now appear as options when I click the down arrow by the Sender box and I can send email using an alias.

    For me, at least, removing and adding back the Outlook  account so the account type is simply 'Microsoft Exchange' solved the issue of sending email with an Outlook alias.  

    (I'm running Outlook 2016 (from Office 365) on Windows 10 RS1 64-bit, both with all the standard Windows Update updates.  And I use Kaspersky Total Security 2017.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-10-02T19:35:05+00:00

    Thank you Keith!!!

    Followed your steps and indeed now I see the 'Microsoft Exchange' only and alias are working. I did try before to remove and add my account but following all your steps (including logging out) did the trick.

    Thank you so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments