Outlook 2016 Send from Outlook Alias Account?

Anonymous
2015-07-25T00:36:11+00:00

As encouraged by Microsoft, I have created and use an alias attached/linked to my primary outlook.com.  For years, it has been impossible to send e-mail from the alias using the Outlook Win32/64 client.  I have to go to Outlook.com in order to do so.

I have just installed the Office 2016 Preview and am severely disappointed to find that I cannot send from the alias within the new client. 

Am I incorrect?  Is it actually possible to send from ******@outlook.com rather than ******@outlook.com?

Microsoft 365 and Office
Microsoft 365 and Office

A comprehensive suite of productivity tools and cloud services that enhance collaboration, communication, and efficiency. Combining classic Office apps with advanced Microsoft 365 features, it supports both personal and business needs

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-10T20:47:59+00:00

    Agreed. This is a frustrating issue. I want to switch from my @hotmail to @outlook alias without losing emails (which seems to happen occasionally now) via Outlook 2016. Apparently it is not possible to do so even though the rollout of alias happened years ago.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-10-07T19:29:35+00:00

    It didn't work for me on Ms Outlook 2016, I did every single step on the internet, but whenever I click a new email, no "From" only "To" shows, so I can't change the primary email and send from an alias instead. I even tried deleting the profile and re-creating a new one to make sure the profile wasn't damaged, still same result, only a waste of time. I even added an alias as a separate email and sent test emails using it, and emails arrive sent from the primary email, not the alias. So frustrating!!! The function is there, in Ms Mail App which is free and has way fewer functions, but not in Ms Office Outlook Professional 2016. They can push it as an update to Ms Office Pro 2016 so professionals can do their work with ease, but, no, just let them suffer and turn to Office 365, and instead of doing my work, I am here looking for a solution which is not there. so everytime I need to send an email from alias, I have to go to a browser, and send it from Outlook.com. the Free app has the function but a paid Office Pro 2016 does NOT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-04T12:46:50+00:00

    It's a work in progress in conjunction with the move of Outlook.com to the Exchange Online platform. Once that is completed and your account has been migrated, sending from an alias address will be possible without any additional configuration in Outlook 2010 or later.

    Until then, you can configure the alias as an additional POP3 account and configure it for sending only.

    Hi

    When you talk about a "work in progress", do you mean that in the future it will be possible to send a message with Outlook 2016 from a default alias address that is not the primary alias ?

    For the time being, it seems not to be possible:

    Due to the upgrade of outlook.com to Exchange online, I had to change the account parameters in Outlook 2016 to an Exchange account, based on an ...@outlook.com primary alias, and the emails can be sent only from this primary alias.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-02T19:35:05+00:00

    Thank you Keith!!!

    Followed your steps and indeed now I see the 'Microsoft Exchange' only and alias are working. I did try before to remove and add my account but following all your steps (including logging out) did the trick.

    Thank you so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-10-02T12:40:03+00:00

    I'm another customer and I was having the same problem Fax22.

    Last week I was finally migrated from Outlook.com to Outlook Mail (that is to say, from the recent to the new version of Hotmail).

    1. In Outlook 2016 I went into File > Info > Account Settings and the account still showed as the old kind.
    2. I deleted my Outlook.com account.  
    3. I closed down Outlook 2016 and signed-off Windows.
    4. I logged back on and re-started Windows.

    In Outlook 2016 I went into File > Info > Account Settings and added back my Outlook.com account.

    1. The account type is now simply 'Microsoft Exchange'. 
    2. After waiting several minutes for the email to be re-synched I logged off Windows again.
    3. I logged back on to Windows.
    4. I restarted Outlook > New Email.
    5. The aliases now appear as options when I click the down arrow by the Sender box and I can send email using an alias.

    For me, at least, removing and adding back the Outlook  account so the account type is simply 'Microsoft Exchange' solved the issue of sending email with an Outlook alias.  

    (I'm running Outlook 2016 (from Office 365) on Windows 10 RS1 64-bit, both with all the standard Windows Update updates.  And I use Kaspersky Total Security 2017.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments